News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2019, 03:00:37 PM
Hunter had a fiduciary duty to prevent corruption at Burisma.  Just as there is no evidence he did anything improper, there is also no evidence that he was stymied in his virtuous efforts to combat corruption by a conspiracy to deny him the relevant information.

There's no evidence that Burisma was engaged in corrupt practices after Biden and other outsiders were invited to join the board, as far as I know.  All of the investigations revolved around activities before they joined.

That said, there's no doubt in my mind that his hiring was related to his being the Veep's son.  But the argument could be made that his relationship with the Veep made him less susceptible to pressure to cut ethical corners because of the visibility he had.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I mean you are free to prove any of those allegations against a dead man, but yeah abuses by a sitting President are more important than those by dead men.

I mean whataboutism to the 10th power.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2019, 03:00:37 PM
The Jeb Bush analogy is apples and oranges.  First because a consultant is not a member of a board.  Second because Lehman has not been accused of criminal activity.

The bankruptcy examiners report found evidence that senior officers and directors at Lehman Brothers breached their fiduciary duty.  The report did not make findings against outside directors because the Lehman Brothers' corporate charter waived all liability of violations of the fiduciary duty of care, as permitted by Delaware law.

In contrast, I have seen no evidence at all of wrongdoing at Burisma during Hunter Biden's tenure.  I'm not saying there wasn't any, but it's pure speculation to say so.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2019, 03:07:55 PM
I mean you are free to prove any of those allegations against a dead man, but yeah abuses by a sitting President are more important than those by dead men.

Hunter Biden is quite alive, I think. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Also I believe the sleeping with your brother's widow is not only Biblically sanctioned, but arguably obligatory.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 26, 2019, 03:13:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2019, 03:07:55 PM

Hunter Biden is quite alive, I think. :unsure:

Oh. I see, bustin' Joe had multiple sons.

Well see? Investigate and substantiate these charges against this private citizen. But I think it is also important what the President is doing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on September 26, 2019, 10:15:10 AM
Hydro is also pretty environmentally damaging, but concentrated locally rather than global.
Only for the first 10 years, then it declines and CO2 emissions disapear entirely after 30 years and the ecosystem has adapted to it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on September 26, 2019, 03:24:23 PM
Quote from: Maximus on September 26, 2019, 10:15:10 AM
Hydro is also pretty environmentally damaging, but concentrated locally rather than global.
Only for the first 10 years, then it declines and CO2 emissions disapear entirely after 30 years and the ecosystem has adapted to it.

It makes areas uninhabitable at normal operation. You will only survive a few minutes without expensive and complicated equipment.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on September 25, 2019, 11:59:28 PM
Here is an overview of energy generation in Europe:

We're the worst  :(

Lithuania is very impressive.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Maladict on September 26, 2019, 04:30:30 PM
Lithuania is very impressive.

And feels a little misleading...

I am thinking the reason is (from quick/cheap googling), that while domestic energy production there is only 30%-ish renewable...they apparently import 70% of their energy from Sweden.  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 26, 2019, 04:33:41 PM
Nah, that's Poland.

I was going to say Cyprus, but if you factor in that gas is cleaner than coal, it's probably Poland.

Valmy

Yeah WTH Nederlands? I thought you were famous for windmills?

Next thing you know the Dutch will be last in Europe for numbers of wooden shoes.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.