News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

How do background checks keep guns out of good peoples' hands?

I mean I am certainly not opposed to focussing on black market weapons, but without gun registries how do we do that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2019, 01:40:32 PM

That's what I was thinking when I asked my question, but I suppose it could be argued that things like assault rifle, bump stock, double magazine etc. bans are "focusing on good people."

PDH

Why does nobody remember when jungle gym privileges were taken away from everyone because Jimmy went around hurting people who were hanging from the monkey bars?

Or any other time "good people" had to suffer a bit because some "bad people" fucked it up for the rest?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

I mean I am certainly not opposed to focussing on black market weapons, but without gun registries how do we do that?

I think they are worried about gun confiscation.  I'm really tired of these dishonest arguments.  Our system of law is based around the prohibition of certain acts or goods.  Why should an exception exist for firearms?  Do these people really believe as soon as you commit an unlawful act an entire black market opens up to you?  Do they think that once a person has committed a crime, they will commit will be filled with a desire to commit all crimes?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Ok but then that is the problem. They keep bringing up issues that should be addressed. Black market weapons. Organized crime. Hint you are fine with gun control so long as law abiding citizens can have whatever weapons they need. Mental illness should be addressed.

I mean I am perfectly willing to try to address this issue at whatever angle everybody agrees is ok. But in order to do that people at least need to be honest about what should be done. Don't say you think we need to delve deep into mental illness or black market weapons if you do not actually mean that.

Of course I have seen no statistics or evidence that suggests most of the guns used to commit crimes are done with black market weapons, but hey probably some of them are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2019, 01:55:17 PM
Why does nobody remember when jungle gym privileges were taken away from everyone because Jimmy went around hurting people who were hanging from the monkey bars?

Because we didn't go to school with you, Jim.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 18, 2019, 04:29:07 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2019, 01:55:17 PM

Because we didn't go to school with you, Jim.

We didn't get monkey bars.  I went to a Catholic school that felt kids played best when tackling each other on an asphalt playground.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2019, 05:19:23 PM
We didn't get monkey bars.  I went to a Catholic school that felt kids played best when tackling each other on an asphalt playground.

So we have identified the problem.  You are like a sinking ship with no baggage to throw overboard.*

*compliments to Mark Twain
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on September 18, 2019, 06:48:50 PM
Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2019, 05:19:23 PM

So we have identified the problem.  You are like a sinking ship with no baggage to throw overboard.*

*compliments to Mark Twain
This boat sank a long time ago.  I ain't even got any flotsam left.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2019, 07:12:50 PM
This boat sank a long time ago.  I ain't even got any flotsam left.

Lack of jetsam is understandable, lack of flotsam is tragic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

If, say, someone, hypothetically threatens to kill liberals, I can see why the GOP might think they are good people.  Honest mistake.  If only they'd known before he killed 200 people at a Democratic convention that he was serious...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 18, 2019, 03:27:31 PM
Of course I have seen no statistics or evidence that suggests most of the guns used to commit crimes are done with black market weapons, but hey probably some of them are.
Depends wich crime, I guess.
"Crimes" in general, most likely they are legitimate guns since they,re so easy to get by.
Organized crime, where people actually don't want to be fun and don't post a video of themselves online before committing their crime, I figure they must be black market guns.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

I believe that Gage advanced on Concord in the belief that the colonists had cannon, powder and carriages for the cannons there.  The American resistance was a great blow in service of the right to bear brass cannons.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson