And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 12, 2019, 12:57:22 PM

Yes

I have to say that person has very arbitrary and bizarre values. They are like Mono.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

No, it's quite consistent. Everything Republican = pure good. Everything Democrat = pure evil.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

I have to hand it to your family, Syt. They are unbelievably persistent. They just post the same tired shit for years. I think I would tire of this even if somebody was paying me to do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Hitting "Share" isn't hard. Hell, I've seen the same memes shared twice within an hour from each other.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 16, 2019, 08:14:57 AM
Hitting "Share" isn't hard. Hell, I've seen the same memes shared twice within an hour from each other.

The same unfunny nonsensical memes carrying the same messages over and over again for literally years though.

I don't even get half of them. Are there really black and Asian pride parades going down the street with any regularity? Why are they so annoyed by this non-existent menace?

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2019, 08:21:01 AM
Why are they so annoyed by this non-existent menace?

Actual menace has inconvenient facts that get in the way.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2019, 08:11:15 AM
I have to hand it to your family, Syt. They are unbelievably persistent. They just post the same tired shit for years. I think I would tire of this even if somebody was paying me to do it.
I really think it's mental illness, or at least a type of addiction.  Obviously some pleasure center activated whenever you see a meme like that, which makes your rational brain shut off, and it seems like with time you need a bigger fix. 

I really hope humanity finds a vaccine against this illness, because social media has been a highly potent new vector of spread.  I think this is probably an even more pressing problem than climate change.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on September 16, 2019, 08:52:00 AM
I really think it's mental illness, or at least a type of addiction.  Obviously some pleasure center activated whenever you see a meme like that, which makes your rational brain shut off, and it seems like with time you need a bigger fix. 

I really hope humanity finds a vaccine against this illness, because social media has been a highly potent new vector of spread.  I think this is probably an even more pressing problem than climate change.

A friend of mine, smart guy, posted that meme that has Washington saying something like "When the government takes the rights of citizens to own guns, the government loses the right to govern". I knew that was a bullshit quote, if for no other reason than anyone who knows Washingtons view on the "mob" knows he would never say something like that. Now, the guy who shared the meme isn't some arch conservative or anything, more of your standard 20something libertarian.

So I googled it, and sure enough, he never said that. No quote of him saying anything of the kind exists anywhere.

I point this out to him, and he actually gets pissed off at me. He says basically that he just shared a meme, HE didn't say it, so why was I giving him crap about it?

I was kind of at a loss. I mean, if you share something that isn't true, wouldn't you WANT to know that it wasn't true?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2019, 10:32:52 AM

A friend of mine, smart guy, posted that meme that has Washington saying something like "When the government takes the rights of citizens to own guns, the government loses the right to govern". I knew that was a bullshit quote, if for no other reason than anyone who knows Washingtons view on the "mob" knows he would never say something like that. Now, the guy who shared the meme isn't some arch conservative or anything, more of your standard 20something libertarian.

So I googled it, and sure enough, he never said that. No quote of him saying anything of the kind exists anywhere.

I point this out to him, and he actually gets pissed off at me. He says basically that he just shared a meme, HE didn't say it, so why was I giving him crap about it?

I was kind of at a loss. I mean, if you share something that isn't true, wouldn't you WANT to know that it wasn't true?

Nope.  People resent being told they are wrong.  You would think the opposite is true, I mean I know I've reevaluated positions due to new evidence and I have been fooled by stuff on the internet.  I didn't get mad at the people who proved that I got punked, though I got mad at myself for allowing myself to be fooled and resentful toward the people who tricked me, but this appears to be a minority position.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Maybe he didn't like that you hate America.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Is there any way to derail the train that calls these posters "memes?"  The word "meme" has an actual meaning.  An image with some words associated with it isn't a "meme," or is a mere torrent of words without an image.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Your clinging to concepts like truth truly makes you a relic of a bygone era.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2019, 11:31:34 AM
Is there any way to derail the train that calls these posters "memes?"  The word "meme" has an actual meaning.  An image with some words associated with it isn't a "meme," or is a mere torrent of words without an image.

They are called "memes" because they evolve as they move from person to person like in the pseudoscience of memes.  Still, I liked it better when we called this "Propaganda".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2019, 11:31:34 AM

Merriam Webster defines "meme", among others, as "an amusing or interesting item (such as a captioned picture or video) or genre of items that is spread widely online especially through social media". I do agree that "amusing" or "interesting" doesn't seem to apply.
—Stephen Jay Gould