News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 12, 2019, 03:41:58 AM
Heh, Americans don't need guns, they just need to roll down a hill and will squash the Chinese invaders.

True, we are well off enough that we don't have to worry about famine like Hungary does.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Here I am making a fat joke and you coming in all serious-like.  :mad:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on September 12, 2019, 02:14:39 AM
Nice pic of a well-ordered militia. :)

No kidding.
If the idea of that picture was to make the point that the 2.5 million PLA could easily steamroll 70 million wannabes with ARs, it succeeded.
I have no doubt that the Chinese military games out potential conflicts with the US in great detail and no doubt that civilian American gunowners do not factor one iota in that analysis.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PDH

I get it, guns don't kill people.  It is mostly the bullets that do the killing.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

We are going to use government data to prove that government is lying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

I'm pretty sure the 19,200 suicides by gun and the 960 accidental gun deaths are a big problem.

I'm also pretty sure I don't want gang members shooting at each other, even if they're not shooting at me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2019, 11:56:57 AM
I'm pretty sure the 19,200 suicides by gun and the 960 accidental gun deaths are a big problem.

I'm also pretty sure I don't want gang members shooting at each other, even if they're not shooting at me.

I do appreciate the honesty. The message was that really all those people would be killed anyway and guns are not dangerous to have around. But really it is that those deaths were caused by guns but tens of thousands is a worthwhile sacrifice for our gun rights. We are just going to accept that tens of thousands are going to die but it is worth it.

I do wonder if the same person posting about how 30,000 is no big deal, and not a problem at all and anybody claiming otherwise is a liar, is the same one howling about 4 people being killed in Benghazi or 11,000 killed on September 11th.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on September 12, 2019, 12:09:34 PM
I do wonder if the same person posting about how 30,000 is no big deal, and not a problem at all and anybody claiming otherwise is a liar, is the same one howling about 4 people being killed in Benghazi or 11,000 killed on September 11th.

11,000?

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 12, 2019, 08:41:27 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 12, 2019, 02:14:39 AM
Nice pic of a well-ordered militia. :)

No kidding.
If the idea of that picture was to make the point that the 2.5 million PLA could easily steamroll 70 million wannabes with ARs, it succeeded.
I have no doubt that the Chinese military games out potential conflicts with the US in great detail and no doubt that civilian American gunowners do not factor one iota in that analysis.

I would go so far as to say that Chinese militia system which has actual training, standardized arms, and superior weapons maintained in centralized locations, could probably defeat an army of unorganized of overweight 50 year old men any day of the week.  Of course the enemy these militia types have in mind aren't foreign, just as the enemies militiamen were effective against in the 18th and 19th century weren't foreign, of even armed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on September 12, 2019, 12:23:24 PM

11,000?

Ok it appears I thought a significantly larger number of people died on 9/11 than really died. 3,000 then, only 10% of not a problem.

Syt

I do appreciate the honesty. The message was that really all those people would be killed anyway and guns are not dangerous to have around. But really it is that those deaths were caused by guns but tens of thousands is a worthwhile sacrifice for our gun rights. We are just going to accept that tens of thousands are going to die but it is worth it.

Yes
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Where do they get the stat that 80% of firearm deaths are "gang related"? CDC reports dont seem to list that.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_09-508.pdf

Also - you don't have to die to be a victim of a gun-related crime, such as being robbed at gunpoint.

QuoteAccording to the National Crime Victimization Survey, 467,321 persons were victims of a crime committed with a firearm in 2011.[1] In the same year, data collected by the FBI show that firearms were used in 68 percent of murders, 41 percent of robbery offenses and 21 percent of aggravated assaults nationwide.[2]

https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/gun-violence-america#gangs

Given that the US population in 2011 was 311 million, using these folks' approach to stats, you have a 0.15 percent chance, per year, of being a victim of a gun-related crime. over one's lifespan, that's pretty significant - 12% (assuming an 80 year lifespan). So something like one in eight will, on average, be a victim of gun-related crime at some point in their life ... 

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

When they say "gang-related" they mean, non-white.  Otherwise it makes no sense because gangs do not exclusively victimize other gang members.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017