Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 10, 2019, 01:34:24 AM
Syria isn't a republic in any meaningful sense.

Well it is not an monarchy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

What's wrong with the word "dictatorship"?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 10, 2019, 08:31:14 AM

Didn't the Roman Republic invent that word? Still a Republic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 09, 2019, 08:58:37 PM
I meant the empirical connection, not the logical one.  Sorry I wasn't clear.
Basically what Oex said. You can dismiss any criticism of something being undemocratic because "actually the US is a republic".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2019, 08:35:50 AM

Their dictatorship was temporary. It was not a quasi-monarchy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: dps on September 10, 2019, 01:34:24 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2019, 08:41:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 09, 2019, 07:55:29 PM
I don't see the connection between any of that and whether the US is a "representative republic."
The connection is that republic by definition doesn't have to be all that representative, it just has to be lacking a monarch.  Assad's Syria is a republic.  Now, you don't have to take it all the way there, but you do get some wiggle room to play with when democratic ideals get a little annoying.

Syria isn't a republic in any meaningful sense.

It's an "Arab Republic". As usual the Devil's in the detail.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2019, 08:35:50 AM

The Roman Kingdom was in many ways a republic in the style of old Poland.

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 10, 2019, 11:41:12 AM
Their dictatorship was temporary. It was not a quasi-monarchy.

A republic comes from the latin res publica, or "thing of the people."  In a republic, the people are sovereign and all policy is the peoples' policy, not the private policy of the monarch or the religious policy of the god.  The peoples' policy is generally carried out by their representatives, but that's not always the case.  The R in USSR stood for "republic" and there was no meaningful representation of the people in the government.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Right-wing Germans really shouldn't be bring up the phrase "Never Forget".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Tamas

Heh, Americans don't need guns, they just need to roll down a hill and will squash the Chinese invaders.