News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Habbaku on September 09, 2019, 02:49:15 PM
Agreed with Spicy. People bleating about us being republic-not-a-democracy have no understanding of our governmental system or what those terms are supposed to mean.

This surprises... who? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

President Bartlet said that the US isn't a democracy but a republic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on September 09, 2019, 02:49:15 PM
Agreed with Spicy. People bleating about us being republic-not-a-democracy have no understanding of our governmental system or what those terms are supposed to mean.

Or perhaps, they like the idea that the American republic silences and censors certain types of people.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

The type of people authoritarians disagree with.

Eddie Teach

Do you mean people being silenced hypothetically or in actuality?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

What I am saying is that a not insignificant number of conservatives are now peddling the point that the United States is a Republic because they support distortion in the democratic process, whether existing ones, like the electoral college, or gerrymandering, or some they seem to aspire to, notably the power of the executive, or a variety of restrictions on the vote.

Admiral Yi

I don't see the connection between any of that and whether the US is a "representative republic."

Oexmelin

Spend some time on twitter, or right-wing boards, or comment sections. "America is not a democracy" is convened to fight critiques of Presidential fiat, arguments invoking majority opinion, and critiques of the electoral college - to name a few.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 09, 2019, 07:55:29 PM
I don't see the connection between any of that and whether the US is a "representative republic."
The connection is that republic by definition doesn't have to be all that representative, it just has to be lacking a monarch.  Assad's Syria is a republic.  Now, you don't have to take it all the way there, but you do get some wiggle room to play with when democratic ideals get a little annoying.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2019, 08:41:34 PM
The connection is that republic by definition doesn't have to be all that representative, it just has to be lacking a monarch.  Assad's Syria is a republic.  Now, you don't have to take it all the way there, but you do get some wiggle room to play with when democratic ideals get a little annoying.

I meant the empirical connection, not the logical one.  Sorry I wasn't clear.

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 09, 2019, 08:05:02 PM
Spend some time on twitter, or right-wing boards, or comment sections. "America is not a democracy" is convened to fight critiques of Presidential fiat, arguments invoking majority opinion, and critiques of the electoral college - to name a few.

There is some really weird shit being talked about in Right-wing circles.  Libertarians have flirted with the idea of monarchy for a while, but the way evangelicals talk about Trump...  Though few say explicitly they are in favor of a monarchy, and in many cases I don't think they fully understand what they are saying, the arguments they make for Trump are the same arguments that were made for monarchs.  The idea that the President's authority comes from God rather than the people.  God raises up a king...  Several influential evangelicals have compared Trump to Cyrus the Great.  I get the feeling they don't know much more about Cyrus than was in the Bible, since "Iranian multi-Culturalist" would not be first thing that comes to my mind when you mention Donald Trump.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Syria isn't a republic in any meaningful sense.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: dps on September 10, 2019, 01:34:24 AM

Syria isn't a republic in any meaningful sense.
The Assads have won the popular vote by 99.99% since old Hafez came into power through peaceful democratic means.
PDH!

DGuller

Not all republics are liberal republics.