Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2019, 03:19:39 PM
So she agrees that we should do background checks and gun registries to keep guns out of the hands of criminals?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I mean true. People would still be killed by knives. But they are just much less efficient.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

So the argument is that things wouldn't be any worse if prisoners were allowed to have guns?

Admiral Yi

The argument is if you can't get to zero deaths what's the point of even trying.

Josquius

Gun nuts really do have a bizzare view of the world.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 08, 2019, 08:11:59 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 08, 2019, 07:50:37 AM
While obviously more of an editorial (of whatever quality you judge it be) than a news article, I think it does provoke a real and troubling concern.  That point where even a theoretically universal health care system decides to cut short that universality for the sake of costs, and thus perhaps making the life of someone with a debilitating illness feel as if it no longer worth struggling with.

(here is the news report from the CBC, if you want one a bit less ideologically charged: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/als-bc-man-medically-assisted-death-1.5244731 _
I'm impressed that it actually happened, or at least, something close to what the article said. Most of them are made up crap. "Not Fake News as they are based on Tru Events meant to make you think. "

A couple of things struck me about this story.  First, I find it hard to believe that the difference between the 20 hours of care he was offered and the 24 he wanted was literally the difference between living happily and wanting to kill yourself.  Second, if he literally could not survive without 24-hour medical care, he probably belonged in a hospital/care facility.  Nobody wants to leave their kids to go into the hospital, but that's not the deciding factor.  Third, he was in end-stage ALS (after surviving longer than most victims), so his life expectancy was short and he may have opted for assisted suicide soon even if he'd gotten the extra 4 hours/day of nursing, just so his son could know he went out peacefully.

In short, I don't see this as a scandal.  A tragedy, for sure, but the tragedy was him developing ALS with such a young child.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2019, 05:54:46 PM
Gun nuts really do have a bizzare view of the world.

No, it's just dishonest.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2019, 06:50:44 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 08, 2019, 08:11:59 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 08, 2019, 07:50:37 AM
While obviously more of an editorial (of whatever quality you judge it be) than a news article, I think it does provoke a real and troubling concern.  That point where even a theoretically universal health care system decides to cut short that universality for the sake of costs, and thus perhaps making the life of someone with a debilitating illness feel as if it no longer worth struggling with.

(here is the news report from the CBC, if you want one a bit less ideologically charged: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/als-bc-man-medically-assisted-death-1.5244731 _
I'm impressed that it actually happened, or at least, something close to what the article said. Most of them are made up crap. "Not Fake News as they are based on Tru Events meant to make you think. "

A couple of things struck me about this story.  First, I find it hard to believe that the difference between the 20 hours of care he was offered and the 24 he wanted was literally the difference between living happily and wanting to kill yourself.  Second, if he literally could not survive without 24-hour medical care, he probably belonged in a hospital/care facility.  Nobody wants to leave their kids to go into the hospital, but that's not the deciding factor.  Third, he was in end-stage ALS (after surviving longer than most victims), so his life expectancy was short and he may have opted for assisted suicide soon even if he'd gotten the extra 4 hours/day of nursing, just so his son could know he went out peacefully.

In short, I don't see this as a scandal.  A tragedy, for sure, but the tragedy was him developing ALS with such a young child.

But there was a guy and he did have a sickness.  That makes this article more factually true than most of them.
PDH!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2019, 05:57:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 06, 2019, 02:09:51 PM
goal posts effectively moved. Well done.  We were talking about the left calling for people to be punished by being fired for their political beliefs.

They are not calling for people on the left to be fired for their political beliefs but expressing them.

Actually it was teaching political ideology, so a teacher who supports the principles of Liberal Democracy can no longer teach a civics class in the US?  What a world this has become.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2019, 12:22:05 PM
goal posts effectively moved. Well done.  We were talking about the left calling for people to be punished by being fired for their political beliefs.

They are not calling for people on the left to be fired for their political beliefs but expressing them.

Actually it was teaching political ideology, so a teacher who supports the principles of Liberal Democracy can no longer teach a civics class in the US?  What a world this has become.

American conservatives don't believe in "Liberal Democracy".  If you ask them, they will bizarrely tell you that the US is Constitutional Republic and not a Democracy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2019, 12:28:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2019, 12:22:05 PM

American conservatives don't believe in "Liberal Democracy".  If you ask them, they will bizarrely tell you that the US is Constitutional Republic and not a Democracy.

That's more of a big L Libertarian thing, or a the view of someone overly hung up on semantics.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2019, 12:28:58 PM
If you ask them, they will bizarrely tell you that the US is Constitutional Republic and not a Democracy.

Yeah, that shit needs to stop.  Getting tired of correcting people. Yes, we are a republic but we are also a Representative Democracy.  The two are not mutually exclusive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Agreed with Spicy. People bleating about us being republic-not-a-democracy have no understanding of our governmental system or what those terms are supposed to mean.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien