Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 04, 2019, 06:54:19 AM
Big rock candy mountains and lakes of soup.  Real Americans promise nothing but blood, sweat, and tears. 

Brits add toil.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2019, 12:48:46 AM
Zedong was the worst, worse than Mao.

So sad that Pol Pot is forgotten nowadays by meme makers. :(

Darth Wagtaros

"He makes Joe Stalin look like Pol Pot!"
PDH!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

On both the left and the right - why is it always that people need to "lose their jobs"?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

What if they succeed in the indoctrination, not just try to indoctrinate?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

You'd know all about that, wouldn't you?  :angry: :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on September 05, 2019, 02:40:42 PM
On both the left and the right - why is it always that people need to "lose their jobs"?

We do seem to have this odd idea that the way to improve people, if jail is not an option, is to make their lives even more terrible and desperate.

Though perhaps really it has just become the socially acceptable way of ostracizing undesirables.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2019, 03:56:07 PM

We do seem to have this odd idea that the way to improve people, if jail is not an option, is to make their lives even more terrible and desperate.

Though perhaps really it has just become the socially acceptable way of ostracizing undesirables.

It isn't at all about improving them, it is all about harming one's ideological enemies.

Left and Right share this - that those who think differently are not ignorant and in need of enlightenment, but wicked and in need of suppression and punishment.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on September 05, 2019, 02:28:40 PM

Great so the vast number of teachers who both embrace and teach the ideology of liberal democracy which is the US constitution should lose their Jobs and be replaced by...what?

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2019, 04:00:47 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 05, 2019, 03:56:07 PM

It isn't at all about improving them, it is all about harming one's ideological enemies.

Left and Right share this - that those who think differently are not ignorant and in need of enlightenment, but wicked and in need of suppression and punishment.

They do?

Valmy

Oh yes they do. We have only discussed this dozens of times.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

You can't take someone's life for having the wrong opinion, so taking their livelihood is the next best thing.  Obviously it's not an ideal outcome, but having people shot for political crimes wouldn't fly in the West, at least not in the near future.