Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2019, 11:38:06 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 11:34:51 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2019, 11:25:57 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 10:11:07 AM
I am not dehumanising or demonising anyone.

Quote from: The Larch on September 16, 2013, 07:25:21 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2013, 07:18:48 PM
I am not sure where the bigotry part comes from Larch. So I trolled on about religion. It was a dick move because I did not realise how home I was hitting that for many of you, but really, getting overboard on Languish OT? Is that such a big deal? Agreed, it was less sterile and thus less condescending in nature than what Viking writes on the topic, but come on dude.

You yourself said that what you wanted to do unhindered was to be able to indulge in some good ol' fashioned Islam bashing. I'm sure that there are plenty of other forums around the net where such opinions are more than welcome.

:hmm:

Explain this please. Not the super-creepy part of digging this up, but what does this prove?

Oh yeah using a search function on a forum is super creepy. Wtf?

It proves that there are people you are happy to dehumanise/demonise when you find it amusing. Or at least you did 6 years ago.

It shows that Larch thought so. I can't remember what he was referring to. Might be right. I am white, after all. Who knows what's in my genes.

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2019, 11:42:07 AM

He's keeping his job because his white heterosexual male boss doesn't see a need to fire him just because he's making life hell for the women on his team specifically because they are women and he doesn't think they're very smart. (He said this to the HR Director.)

Fair enough. If he wasn't white and/or a man, would that automatically remove the possibility of holding such views?

I'm really not sure how lumping all white men together is calling you out as subhuman in the same way that calling a black man "black boy" is. YMMV

Well, I am a white man. I cannot be excluded from any opinion/trait that is attributed to "white men".

Tamas

Also, Meri, your asshole of a former boss treated women like shit because "they are women and not very smart". You wrote this a page or so back:

Quote..white men - as a majority - treat all others? Their demonization and dehumanization of women, blacks, Hispanics, etc?

Now I don't debate that as far as actions go he has done far worse than you. But in terms of views expressed, what is the qualitative difference between his and yours quoted above?

Razgovory

As a white guy I would like to say that while I can probably walk 15 minutes for a burger I'd much rather drive.  If confronted with an mass shooter I'd certainly make the attempt to walk away at least 15 minutes and possibly jog as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 11:43:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2019, 11:38:06 AM

I am not sure where the bigotry part comes from Larch. So I trolled on about religion. It was a dick move because I did not realise how home I was hitting that for many of you, but really, getting overboard on Languish OT? Is that such a big deal? Agreed, it was less sterile and thus less condescending in nature than what Viking writes on the topic, but come on dude.

You yourself said that what you wanted to do unhindered was to be able to indulge in some good ol' fashioned Islam bashing. I'm sure that there are plenty of other forums around the net where such opinions are more than welcome.

Explain this please. Not the super-creepy part of digging this up, but what does this prove?

Oh yeah using a search function on a forum is super creepy. Wtf?

It proves that there are people you are happy to dehumanise/demonise when you find it amusing. Or at least you did 6 years ago.

It shows that Larch thought so. I can't remember what he was referring to. Might be right. I am white, after all. Who knows what's in my genes.

If you click on hyperlink above on of the posts, you can see the thread. There were actually several posters who thought you were doing so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I think he's saying you're canceled or something, based on something you might have said 6 years ago on a forum where all sorts of loose talk was going on.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Well, after apologising for it six years ago, I'll do so again, then!

Do you think this proves that it is correct to denounce white males in general?

Tamas

In other words, if I were born either a non-white, or a non-male, would either of those have assured I would not have made that comment?

Eddie Teach

Muslim isn't even a race. Why not take atheist men to task for Tamas's comments?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

I don't think the way forward for society is pitting collectives against each other. I think the way forward is positive and individual-based, not negative and collective-based.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 11:59:51 AM
Well, after apologising for it six years ago, I'll do so again, then!

Do you think this proves that it is correct to denounce white males in general?

You've a lot to learn if you think that post from you back then was actually an apology.

I found that exchange pretty quick as I have a vague sense you are anti-Islam. And sure enough found an exchange where you wanted to create a sock puppet to engage in bashing Muslims.

To be clear, I'm not interested in defending Meri's indefensible thesis that she posted in this thread and elsewhere.

I was surprised though for you to act like your shit doesn't stink.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 27, 2019, 12:28:19 PM
I don't think the way forward for society is pitting collectives against each other. I think the way forward is positive and individual-based, not negative and collective-based.

Great, how do we get there? Systemic discrimination isn't going to disappear because we decide to assert we are all unique, great individuals.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2019, 12:31:51 PM

Great, how do we get there? Systemic discrimination isn't going to disappear because we decide to assert we are all unique, great individuals.

I think the answer is stop discrimination. Many indivudals and organizations do not discriminate, just do what they do.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on August 27, 2019, 11:51:09 AM
Also, Meri, your asshole of a former boss treated women like shit because "they are women and not very smart". You wrote this a page or so back:

Quote..white men - as a majority - treat all others? Their demonization and dehumanization of women, blacks, Hispanics, etc?

Now I don't debate that as far as actions go he has done far worse than you. But in terms of views expressed, what is the qualitative difference between his and yours quoted above?

I had to leave my job. He did not.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2019, 12:31:51 PM

:contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...