Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2019, 03:41:54 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 08, 2019, 03:31:46 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 08, 2019, 03:18:18 PM
they could have used "gun nuts" or any other of quite a few nicknames instead of "white dudes". but using "white dudes" has the extra benefit of annoying white men, so I get why they used it.

Gun nuttery in the US is intimately tied with racial politics and white machismo. Contrast with *another* type of gun culture - black revolutionary power - and you'll see the difference clearly enough.

Black revolutionary power has no racial politics or machismo component? Or are you saying they are not gun nuts but just a gun culture?

They don't have white machismo.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

I thought the implication of the post was that Black guys were more patient when it comes to getting their burger.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 08, 2019, 03:12:06 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 08, 2019, 02:56:26 PM
Really. Why is it ok to make sweeping generalizations about white dudes and nobody else?

Have you spent any time at all time on social media?

It's a jab at a specific form of white male gun machismo that is incredibly prevalent online. If you have never encountered it, consider yourself blessed.

I have yet to find the vast hordes of black women who brag online that they could have taken down an active shooter with their guns. But you may be better informed than I.

Marti is out there somewhere bragging that he would have tripped the shooter.

Admiral Yi

Really. Why is it ok to make sweeping generalizations about white dudes and nobody else?

It's not all white dudes.  It's not all white dudes, all of whom think they can handle a mass shooter.  Only white dudes who think they can handle a mass shooter.

Camerus

Meh, performative and ritualized anti-whiteness is just a part of Oex's shtick.

Syt

Quote from: Camerus on August 08, 2019, 08:57:39 PM
Meh, performative and ritualized anti-whiteness is just a part of Oex's shtick.
:rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 08, 2019, 03:12:06 PM

Have you spent any time at all time on social media?

It's a jab at a specific form of white male gun machismo that is incredibly prevalent online. If you have never encountered it, consider yourself blessed.

I have yet to find the vast hordes of black women who brag online that they could have taken down an active shooter with their guns. But you may be better informed than I.

As Malthus asked, so if you can show "proof" of the prejudice being valid, it makes it ok?

How does that make you different from people talking shit about Muslims and pointing to terror attacks? Or people hating on blacks and citing their selective crime statistics and such?

With rhetoric like that, you just help driving people into camps based on their skin colours and identity.

Syt

Not from Facebook, and obviously not from my family, but I thought some people here might enjoy it. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

dps

I hadn't realized that France and the Confederacy shared a flag.  :)

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 09, 2019, 06:50:17 AM

Ok before we get into this, why are you giving me shit? Syt posted this and he isn't French.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2019, 01:45:47 AM

First Canada does not ban guns, they have lots of guns. But they actually regulate them intelligently so their gun death rate is 1/6th of ours. Who is stupid now?

People freak out here just at the idea that maybe mentally ill former convicts of armed robbery maybe should have background checks conducted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on August 09, 2019, 08:17:26 AM

Ok before we get into this, why are you giving me shit? Syt posted this and he isn't French.

Unless you were making the observation that both countries did indeed use white flags as their real flags -_-

In which case I applaud your decision to bring up interesting historical facts.

The Minsky Moment

Now now he must have confused it with the Fleur de Lis.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Just being snarky;  don't take it personally.  Heck, it wasn't even creative.