News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

You have to ask idahoansforliberty dot com.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Seen on Facebook:

"Dear white dudes on the internet who think they could handle an armed mass shooter: I've seen your Google reviews. You can't even handle a 15-minute wait for a burger."

Valmy

What about other genders and races who think they can handle armed mass shooters?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2019, 02:43:46 PM
What about other genders and races who think they can handle armed mass shooters?

Really?

Eddie Teach

Really. Why is it ok to make sweeping generalizations about white dudes and nobody else?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

They aren't nearly as prevalent online.

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 08, 2019, 02:56:26 PM
Really. Why is it ok to make sweeping generalizations about white dudes and nobody else?

...nobody else, as a first approximation, is online talking shit about what they would have done.

Oexmelin

Have you spent any time at all time on social media?

It's a jab at a specific form of white male gun machismo that is incredibly prevalent online. If you have never encountered it, consider yourself blessed.

I have yet to find the vast hordes of black women who brag online that they could have taken down an active shooter with their guns. But you may be better informed than I.

Malthus

Quote from: ulmont on August 08, 2019, 03:03:25 PM

They aren't nearly as prevalent online.

...nobody else, as a first approximation, is online talking shit about what they would have done.

I guess the issue then is whether an invidious racial or sexual generalization becomes non-offensive if it can be plausibly argued that it is true.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

they could have used "gun nuts" or any other of quite a few nicknames instead of "white dudes". but using "white dudes" has the extra benefit of annoying white men, so I get why they used it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

The masturbatory self-defenses fantasists are one of the worst parts of gun culture.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: HVC on August 08, 2019, 03:18:18 PM
they could have used "gun nuts" or any other of quite a few nicknames instead of "white dudes". but using "white dudes" has the extra benefit of annoying white men, so I get why they used it.

Gun nuttery in the US is intimately tied with racial politics and white machismo. Contrast with *another* type of gun culture - black revolutionary power - and you'll see the difference clearly enough.

Valmy

It is almost a slur the way it is used. "White dudes" is never used as a positive. It is definitely used to dehumanize and demonize.

And in any case I have met more than a few women who were gun nuts. I know that breaks the narrative that your views are entirely dependent on your race and gender though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 08, 2019, 03:31:46 PM

Gun nuttery in the US is intimately tied with racial politics and white machismo. Contrast with *another* type of gun culture - black revolutionary power - and you'll see the difference clearly enough.

Black revolutionary power has no racial politics or machismo component? Or are you saying they are not gun nuts but just a gun culture?