Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I bet Reagan was delighted when Nixon became Red China's best buddy the very next year then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2019, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 05, 2019, 09:48:19 AM
They will once you explain to them how to make money off it.

Well you provide money for mental health services and then people who provide mental health services will get paid.

That doesn't explain how either the government or individual Congress members make money off it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2019, 10:36:53 AM
I bet Reagan was delighted when Nixon became Red China's best buddy the very next year then.

I don't know, maybe he called up Nixon to tell him a racist joke about it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2019, 10:01:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 05, 2019, 09:59:19 AM
They busy today.

Um the 80s were not this big racist era they think it was. I was there.

Were you in a position to assess the level of racism?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 05, 2019, 11:39:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2019, 10:01:13 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 05, 2019, 09:59:19 AM
They busy today.

Um the 80s were not this big racist era they think it was. I was there.

Were you in a position to assess the level of racism?

A good enough position to know that calling black people animals publicly was not acceptable.

Are you implying that it was, in fact, ok what Reagan said because that was just what everybody was saying back then? I mean I remember the big deal when Howard Cosell made the monkey comment in the early 80s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Reagan said it on a private phone call to Nixon that Nixon recorded.  He didn't say it publicly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 05, 2019, 12:22:27 PM
Reagan said it on a private phone call to Nixon that Nixon recorded.  He didn't say it publicly.

I am aware. But the claim was made that it was a different time and the culture just accepted that kind of thing being said. Counter to that claim, I am sure both Nixon and Reagan were aware that kind of joke was not going to fly in the culture generally.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2019, 12:09:23 PM
A good enough position to know that calling black people animals publicly was not acceptable.
Are you implying that it was, in fact, ok what Reagan said because that was just what everybody was saying back then? I mean I remember the big deal when Howard Cosell made the monkey comment in the early 80s.

My bad. I misunderstood  what your comment referenced.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Zanza

Lines show development of mortality per 100000 between 45-54 years of age. Red line is "white Americans".

Valmy

Yeah that has been a thing for awhile. I think the meth and opoid epidemic are typically pointed to as the culprit. But we also have stress and bad health care and obesity and all that.

Razgovory

Why does this "you can't outlaw evil/criminals don't obey the law" sort of thing never apply to anything besides civilian firearms withing the US?  I've never seen someone say that we shouldn't be trying to prevent the Iranians from building nuclear weapons and instead work on promoting more prayer in the Iranian education system.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

We shouldn't have criminal law either. Laws against murder don't stop people from committing murder.  It goes without saying we shouldn't bother with immigration laws, because illegal immigrants will ignore them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on August 05, 2019, 01:36:41 PM
Lines show development of mortality per 100000 between 45-54 years of age. Red line is "white Americans".

Does that include white Hispanics?  :P

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on August 05, 2019, 01:36:41 PM

Where is the folly?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.