News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 03, 2018, 10:49:56 AM
Would it be too pedantic to point out that every country outside east Africa is populated by the descendants of people who came from somewhere else?

Yes it would.

These are not ancient population movements. The First Fleet sailed to Australia in 1788; the colonisation of the Dakotas is almost in living memory.

I think that our cultures are safe because we have large populations. China and India had some tough times but were never at risk of being disinherited. The places with lower populations became the areas of dispossession.

Eddie Teach

Ok. What is the magic number of years one's ancestors need to have been in a place to consider himself a native rather than an immigrant?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 03, 2018, 11:54:51 AM
Ok. What is the magic number of years one's ancestors need to have been in a place to consider himself a native rather than an immigrant?

There is no "magic number" but there's an obvious difference between one's ancestors having lived in a place for 10, 100, or 1000 years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 03, 2018, 11:54:51 AM

To consider themselves? IMHO being born there.

To be considered by others? Well if they have a different skin colour you'll have the natives talk of "3rd generation immigrants" and such, so they are fucked.

It really is cultural. Hungary is very intolerant at one hand to non-assimilated cultures/identities, don't really let non-whites assimilate, but there are tons of people whose grandparents/great grandparents had a distinct German/assorted Slavic identity during their time, and this is absolutely not a "concern" for either the offsprings or society.

Richard Hakluyt

There was a Polish community of 250k people left in the UK after WW2. They went native incredibly quickly. As a schoolkid I would meet children that seemed completely native but with difficult surnames; one might notice some differences on visiting their homes. The last traces, for all practical purposes, disappeared sometime in the 1990s..........just before the new Poles started turning up. In Preston we had to do without a Polish deli for just over five years.

derspiess

I guess I'm an 11th generation immigrant :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

It gets muddled but 13th Generation is the most straight forward answer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

On a warm summer's day I like to dress in woad and curse the Romans at a sacred oak grove.

Richard Hakluyt

The process still happens; I would hold up Xinjiang and Tibet as places where immigration will ultimately completely change the culture of those regions.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2018, 12:32:56 PM
I'm a 5th generation immigrant. :)

16th generation.  I had one ancestor who came over in the 1620's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 03, 2018, 10:49:56 AM
Would it be too pedantic to point out that every country outside east Africa is populated by the descendants of people who came from somewhere else?

Yes. :yes:

And why didn't you pick up your gun and fix Georgia instead of moving here?  :mad:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 03, 2018, 01:02:46 PM

So did I, but my generations seem more stretched out than everyone else's :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2018, 01:04:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 03, 2018, 01:02:46 PM

So did I, but my generations seem more stretched out than everyone else's :huh:

Yeah I was frankly very surprised to see how many of my ancestors came over in the 17th century. If I am descended from you and you are not Irish, you probably came over in the 17th century or early 18th century. Even the Germans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."