Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2018, 12:10:59 PM
Everybody knows there's no checks at the border.  :rolleyes:

What source is declaring this caravan ok and a fine way to immigrate to the United States?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2018, 12:17:38 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2018, 12:12:48 PM
I think one of the "rationales" for Democrats supposedly sponsoring these caravans is because these people and their families allegedly will then vote Democrat.

Doubtful. Immigrants, even after they become citizens, do not vote in large percentages.

I mean if we were all about maximizing the number of immigrants than our policies when we have actually been in power have been counter-productive. Obama rigorously enforced the immigration laws. Something which he got zero credit for for some reason from that crowd.

Well, he made a key mistake by being black.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2018, 06:15:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 02, 2018, 10:13:12 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2018, 09:58:57 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 02, 2018, 09:02:35 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2018, 09:01:33 AM
Throw rocks back at them?

Really? You are going to defend this?

It was a joke.  FFS, lighten up people.

It was not funny, and hardly the time to be making a joke.

*Breaking News:  Hijackers steal school bus.  50 children are missing.*

Derspeiss: "Hey, let's tell rape jokes!"

I don't get the equivalency there.  I was *joking* about throwing rocks back at people who would throw rocks at our border security and customs personnel and you guys lose your shit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2018, 12:37:31 PM

I don't get the equivalency there.  I was *joking* about throwing rocks back at people who would throw rocks at our border security and customs personnel and you guys lose your shit.

Explain the joke to me then. The point seemed to be that there was no non-lethal way to deal with the problem and you were lampooning and mocking the very idea. That is what the context suggested so that is why I reacted like I did. But I was clearly wrong. So...what was the joke? I don't get it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

You are being dishonest Valmy. You know what the joke is, you just don't think it's funny.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Doubtful. Immigrants, even after they become citizens, do not vote in large percentages.

Do you have a source for that?  I thought the opposite was true, but in thinking it over, I realize I don't have any stats to back it up, it was just my assumption.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2018, 12:40:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2018, 12:37:31 PM

Explain the joke to me then. The point seemed to be that there was no non-lethal way to deal with the problem and you were lampooning and mocking the very idea. That is what the context suggested so that is why I reacted like I did. But I was clearly wrong. So...what was the joke? I don't get it.

I was JOKINGLY suggesting throwing rocks as the non-lethal way of dealing with rock-throwers.  I was not claiming there wasn't a non-lethal way to deal with it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: dps on November 05, 2018, 12:57:03 PM

Do you have a source for that?  I thought the opposite was true, but in thinking it over, I realize I don't have any stats to back it up, it was just my assumption.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blogs/random-samplings/2016/11/immigrant_votingin.html

Only 62% are even registered to vote.

derspiess

My immigrant wife votes in every election :)

*That* was a serious post.  Not a joke.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2018, 12:59:31 PM
I was JOKINGLY suggesting throwing rocks as the non-lethal way of dealing with rock-throwers.

Ok. Good one.

QuoteI was not claiming there wasn't a non-lethal way to deal with it.

Ok but surely you can see what I just posted before you and why I took it that way. My apologies for not getting it.

dps

Well, huh.  My assumption had been that if you're a legal permanent resident, one of the main reasons to take out citizenship would be to get voting rights.

Wait, doesn't first-generation immigrants include those who haven't gotten their citizenship, at least not yet?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2018, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 05, 2018, 12:07:39 PM
Well yes, if you could understand Hungarian you'd know from the glorious government that it is Soros and the people behind him's plan to eradicate the very fabric of European society (Christinaity, family, other non gay stuff) by overruning with a Muslim horde.

I am sure that's the American Soros Plan, just with the regional brown people available.

Well then the joke is on him since the Muslim immigrants and much more socially conservative than Europeans...well ok maybe just the Western Europeans.

This is true, but they are single-issue voters, and when they vote, important national elections mosly, they vote consistently for pro unchecked immigration and identity politics parties i.e the left, so voting for parties wanting to limit, select or even stop immigration right is impossible. Of course, no problem to vote for islamists in the old country, such as in Turkey and Tunisia, even beyond the pale of the far right in Europe, while at the same time voting against whoever is not for unchecked immigration and for an embrace of identity politics.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on November 05, 2018, 01:04:30 PM
Well, huh.  My assumption had been that if you're a legal permanent resident, one of the main reasons to take out citizenship would be to get voting rights.

Wait, doesn't first-generation immigrants include those who haven't gotten their citizenship, at least not yet?

In this particular graph it is a reflection of 'potential voters' so under 18s and non-citizens do not count.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2018, 01:02:36 PM
My immigrant wife votes in every election :)

*That* was a serious post.  Not a joke.

Yet another instance of Soros' plan for Democratic victory failing :weep:

derspiess

Speaking of which, she and I get to have a voting date tomorrow.  We vote and then go have a nice breakfast before work :wub:

Then she takes a half-day off to go shoe shopping.