News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2018, 05:19:43 PM
She was actually pretty liberal/pronounced non-patriotic.

Germans can't do moderation.  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2018, 03:31:37 AM
You know, every once in a while my reaction to the crap my family posts still goes beyond eye rolling and into "Whoa WTF?"

So edgy.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2018, 03:31:37 AM
You know, every once in a while my reaction to the crap my family posts still goes beyond eye rolling and into "Whoa WTF?"

Ummm...yeah I heard this stuff back when he was President. Somehow he created racism in the United States which did not exist back in 2008.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Since they showed Blazing Saddles, I think "salt of the earth" America totally went like this in 2008:

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2018, 07:39:25 AM
Ummm...yeah I heard this stuff back when he was President. Somehow he created racism in the United States which did not exist back in 2008.

It's not only that, but it's blaming racism on the ones being discriminated against. It's like saying, "Well, if the Jews didn't control the banks and finances, and Hollywood, and [insert list here], maybe people would like them better."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2018, 07:59:46 AM

It's not only that, but it's blaming racism on the ones being discriminated against. It's like saying, "Well, if the Jews didn't control the banks and finances, and Hollywood, and [insert list here], maybe people would like them better."

Well and it was not like Obama was some sort of black nationalist, he was mixed race and was raised by white people. His VP was white. Much of his cabinet was white, and way beyond any sort of tokenism. It doesn't make any sense.

I mean I can understand how somebody might not like Obama and his policies, just like I can get why somebody would be against illegal immigration. But it is the weird passionate extent both of those positions by some and the sort of language used that...well...gives me pause.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2018, 08:24:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2018, 07:59:46 AM

Well and it was not like Obama was some sort of black nationalist, he was mixed race and was raised by white people. His VP was white. Much of his cabinet was white, and way beyond any sort of tokenism. It doesn't make any sense.

I mean I can understand how somebody might not like Obama and his policies, just like I can get why somebody would be against illegal immigration. But it is the weird passionate extent both of those positions went and the sort of language used that...well...gives me pause.

There's nothing weird about it, it's called racism.

The Larch

Syt, can you pinpoint your sisters' descent into madness to some particular moment or issue? You mentioned that they were not like that when they lived back in Germany.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 02, 2018, 08:26:21 AM
There's nothing weird about it, it's called racism.

I know. But I try to give people the benefit of the doubt that they are not hatefilled monsters with hearts full of evil. I mean it is not a very high bar but some people fail to clear it, like Syt's relatives. I would think Germans would be more sensitive to that kind of stuff.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on November 02, 2018, 08:28:00 AM
Syt, can you pinpoint your sisters' descent into madness to some particular moment or issue? You mentioned that they were not like that when they lived back in Germany.

Without knowing any details I'd assume frustration from failed dreams and ambitions and resulting bitterness. Better people can recognise those feelings as such and wallow in silent self-loathing, others blame the world for all of it.

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on November 02, 2018, 08:34:39 AM

Without knowing any details I'd assume frustration from failed dreams and ambitions and resulting bitterness. Better people can recognise those feelings as such and wallow in silent self-loathing, others blame the world for all of it.

I blame this board!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

May have been there for a while, latently, and got triggered? No idea. She lived in El Paso for three years where she "discovered" her dislike of Hispanic (nobody speaks English here!), and a few years in North Carolina, where she discovered a dislike of "entitled" blacks.

Also, from my niece's husband:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

See it is not even funny or shocking. It is just really lame. And racist and evil.

Tamas

BTW where did Trump take the rock-throwing thing from? Footage from Gaza?

Tamas

And yeah this is just disgusting.

I mean, you don't want to let people with no legal right to enter into your country? Fine. Probably you have a shitty reason for it but I agree with Valmy: change shitty laws, not just ignore them.

But welcoming the thought of gunning down civilians who want to enter and live in your country peacefully? The fuck.

I guess tho they convince themselves its a band of arab terrorists and latin gangsters. Armed to the teeth, cleverly trying to get through the border by... throwing rocks.