Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I would have assumed he was referring to the Civil Rights Acts of 1866 and 1875, since:
(a) they were written, sponsored and passed by Republicans, in the first instance over the veto of a Democratic President, and
(b) it fits chronologically.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Wasn't he technically a Republican, having run on a ticket with Lincoln?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

I think technically both ran on a unity ticket.  I don't think Johnson ever left the Democrats.  He ran as a Democrat in 1868.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Time?  Your meme generator needs to get out more.

Syt

Comment from my niece's husband, an Army Sgt: "If they try'n charge the border there'll be a lot of dead spics that day."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on November 01, 2018, 11:26:23 AM
Are there even any people in Congress left that had the option to vote on it?

Nope.  No one in Congress right now was there before the mid-70s.

viper37

Your sister, she was like that growing up in Europe or she changed once in the US?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

She was actually pretty liberal/pronounced non-patriotic.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2018, 04:53:39 PM
Comment from my niece's husband, an Army Sgt: "If they try'n charge the border there'll be a lot of dead spics that day."

Yikes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

It's utterly unsurprising. There is a real gleeful desire on the sociopathic right to unleash lethal violence upon others - upon liberals coming to take your guns, upon Democrat traitors, upon migrants crossing the border, upon the press which peddles fake news against the beloved president.

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/1/18053638/cnn-carried-donald-trump-immigration-white-house

But yeah, the lack of civility of Maxine Waters - that's the big problem. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

You know, every once in a while my reaction to the crap my family posts still goes beyond eye rolling and into "Whoa WTF?"

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The link in that image is .... yikes.
https://o4anews.com/

Though to be fair it was shared from this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/LionsAreKing2020/posts/?ref=page_internal
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 01, 2018, 01:16:36 PM
Weren't those laws abolished due to Civil Rights Act?

Alabama only got that removed from their laws in 2000.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2018, 03:31:37 AM
You know, every once in a while my reaction to the crap my family posts still goes beyond eye rolling and into "Whoa WTF?"

WTF