News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 01, 2018, 03:57:13 AM

No, I don't think the people who did those things are racists. Any of them alive today?

Why is Jeff Foxworthy there? :hmm:

Oh I see, 'you might be a redneck'. Lame.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

The comment is formatted like one of his "you might be a redneck" jokes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

How exactly did Republicans "pass the Civil Rights Act"?  They did vote in favour of it, but it was a a Democratic bill that was supported by President Kennedy, and then Johnson.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

The Republican southern strategy happened in our lifetime (well some of us  :)).  But facts don't seem to matter anymore.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2018, 10:06:33 AM
How exactly did Republicans "pass the Civil Rights Act"?  They did vote in favour of it, but it was a a Democratic bill that was supported by President Kennedy, and then Johnson.

Barry Goldwater voted against it. The implications of that, and what followed, are pretty significant.

Notice that Jeff Foxworthy did not mention anything AFTER the Civil Rights Act in his quote -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2018, 10:06:33 AM

By voting for it? They also voted in greater percentages than Democrats in support of the bill.

Not that the CRA has anything to do with modern Republicans being racist or not. Are there even any people in Congress left that had the option to vote on it?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on November 01, 2018, 11:26:23 AM
By voting for it? They also voted in greater percentages than Democrats in support of the bill.

Well yeah. But it was a weird vote.

The Republicans were all over the place. Republicans from New York, California, Arizona, Wyoming, North Dakota, and all sorts of weird places voted nay.

And while there were not just a ton of Republicans in the southern states, only the ones from Maryland and Missouri didn't vote against it. I mean in Texas a few Democrats voted for it, none of the Republicans did.

I wasn't around back then so I have no idea why, it does kind of look like the Republicans in the South were already trying to look more conservative than the Democrats.

Razgovory

Odd that nothing is mentioned past 1965.  Was the issue of race solved that year?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2018, 01:03:03 PM
Odd that nothing is mentioned past 1965.  Was the issue of race solved that year?

Yes. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

What legal changes have been made since then?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 01, 2018, 01:08:11 PM

I don't know. Well back in 1965 in Georgia interracial marriage was illegal. Is that still true? :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Weren't those laws abolished due to Civil Rights Act?

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 01, 2018, 01:08:11 PM

Civil Rights act of 1968 (this is a touchy one since Donald Trump was sued for violating it.  Twice).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Ok. Was there a significant shift between 1965 and 1968? Also the Foxworthy meme doesn't specify.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 01, 2018, 01:20:54 PM
Ok. Was there a significant shift between 1965 and 1968? Also the Foxworthy meme doesn't specify.

Civil Rights act of 1991.