News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

While the Constitution has many provisions protecting the right of U.S. citizens to vote (and defining what is a U.S. citizen); I don't think it ever states anywhere that non-citizens cannot vote.

Valmy

That is a rather bizarrely draconian and non-Constitutional solution to a non-problem I have to admit.

Granted I have no idea how California is allowing non-citizens to vote on in what elections, but since this was posted by Syt's relatives I assume this is either a lie or true but is being misrepresented in some way. They are compulsively posting complete fabrications and lies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2018, 04:33:46 PM
That is a rather bizarrely draconian and non-Constitutional solution to a non-problem I have to admit.

Granted I have no idea how California is allowing non-citizens to vote on in what elections, but since this was posted by Syt's relatives I assume this is either a lie or true but is being misrepresented in some way. They are compulsively posting complete fabrications and lies.

I seem to recall Germans having similar draconian solutions to non-problems in the past.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I know we allow Permanent residents (but non-citizens) to vote in municipal elections.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on September 13, 2018, 04:46:42 PM

I know we allow Permanent residents (but non-citizens) to vote in municipal elections.

Euros have already taken the "balls of light" role.

But "balls of maple syrup" is still available.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 13, 2018, 04:55:50 PM

Euros have already taken the "balls of light" role.

But "balls of maple syrup" is still available.

"Balls of maple sugar" makes more sense ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Nah, then people say "wtf is maple sugar?"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 13, 2018, 04:28:48 PM
While the Constitution has many provisions protecting the right of U.S. citizens to vote (and defining what is a U.S. citizen); I don't think it ever states anywhere that non-citizens cannot vote.

Correct.  There are provisions requiring states to not restrict the right to vote based on certain things, but beyond those provisions, states can set their criteria for who can vote however they wish, and in the past some states did allow non-citizens to vote.  I don't know if it's true that California law currently allows non-citizens to vote, but I suspect it doesn't.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on September 13, 2018, 07:23:52 PM
in the past some states did allow non-citizens to vote.

For federal elections?

The Minsky Moment

It's not true, but accuracy is clearly not a premium for someone who cites refusal to "Cooperate" with a commission that was disbanded months ago as an excuse to violate the Constitution.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2018, 07:37:39 PM
Quote from: dps on September 13, 2018, 07:23:52 PM
in the past some states did allow non-citizens to vote.

For federal elections?

According to Wikipedia, Federal law currently prohibits that.  This wasn't always the case, but I'm not sure if any states ever allowed non-citizens to vote in Federal elections.

Tonitrus

For the record, according to the California state constitution:

QuoteCALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION - CONS

ARTICLE II VOTING, INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM, AND RECALL [SECTION 1 - SEC. 20]  ( Heading of Article 2 amended June 8, 1976, by Prop. 14. Res.Ch. 5, 1976. )

SECTION 1.  All political power is inherent in the people. Government is instituted for their protection, security, and benefit, and they have the right to alter or reform it when the public good may require.
(Sec. 1 renumbered from Sec. 26 (of Art. 1) on June 8, 1976, by Prop. 14. Res.Ch. 5, 1976.)

SEC. 2.  A United States citizen 18 years of age and resident in this State may vote.

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 13, 2018, 09:58:47 PM
For the record, according to the California state constitution:

QuoteCALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION - CONS

ARTICLE II VOTING, INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM, AND RECALL [SECTION 1 - SEC. 20]  ( Heading of Article 2 amended June 8, 1976, by Prop. 14. Res.Ch. 5, 1976. )

SECTION 1.  All political power is inherent in the people. Government is instituted for their protection, security, and benefit, and they have the right to alter or reform it when the public good may require.
(Sec. 1 renumbered from Sec. 26 (of Art. 1) on June 8, 1976, by Prop. 14. Res.Ch. 5, 1976.)

SEC. 2.  A United States citizen 18 years of age and resident in this State may vote.

Well, technically, that doesn't mean that non-citizens can't vote, but I suspect that what's going on with the thing about California registering non-citizens is that someone doesn't think that California is checking carefully enough that non-citizens aren't improperly being registered.

Syt

I think what happened (this came up before) is that California allowed non-citizens to register for elections of school boards or something like that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

A quick look on Google suggests that only San Francisco did that.  That should not surprise anyone.