Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2018, 06:17:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2018, 11:21:27 PM
But hey tell me about this long history.

You're trolling, right?

No. Please tell me of the long history of people referring to themselves as WASPs which, again, is a bit of a pejorative term. I mean sure sometimes they do as a bit of a self-effacing gag, but it is not some strong identity. They would more likely to go with English or Scottish or something.

WTF would you think I was trolling? What have I said that would have you ask me this? It is really weird.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2018, 03:37:24 PM

What is the problem being addressed here? Because if it is runaway deficits Reagan pretty much created that problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2018, 11:52:32 PM

You're trolling, right?

No. Please tell me of the long history of people referring to themselves as WASPs which, again, is a bit of a pejorative term. I mean sure sometimes they do as a bit of a self-effacing gag, but it is not some strong identity. They would more likely to go with English or Scottish or something.

WTF would you think I was trolling? What have I said that would have you ask me this? It is really weird.

I agree that it has pejorative connotations nowadays, but I believe that wasn't always the case.  I think people did refer to themselves as WASPs back before WWII, though they more likely used the long form of "white Anglo-Saxon Protestants" rather than the acronym.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on September 09, 2018, 11:59:59 PM
I agree that it has pejorative connotations nowadays, but I believe that wasn't always the case.  I think people did refer to themselves as WASPs back before WWII, though they more likely used the long form of "white Anglo-Saxon Protestants" rather than the acronym.

The acronym didn't exist until the 50s so you are safe in arguing that it was "more likely" that people didn't use it before WW2. 

But I'd want to see evidence that people used even the long form of "white Anglo-Saxon Protestants" to commonly describe themselves before WW2.  I don't recall even running across the term "Anglo-Saxon" as a self-identifying word; "English" is a lot shorter and more widely understood.  The significant numbers of Ulster and Scottish descendants among the elite of New England would likewise argue against "Anglo-Saxon" as an identifier.  I could be wrong, but I'd need evidence that such a bizarre moniker was ever used for self-identification.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 10, 2018, 06:27:41 AM
The acronym didn't exist until the 50s

That's a very specific bit of information.  Where did you ever heard about the origin of the WASP acronym?

Quick googling has wiki saying just that, but it actually has a note "needs citation".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2018, 11:52:32 PM

You're trolling, right?

I said there is a long history of WASPs preferring WASPs, it would be helpful if you read what I post rather than responding to something I did not post.

It is indeed wierd that anyone would deny that WASPs have historically shown preferential treatment to WASPs.   

garbon

Wow, so he misunderstood the verb you had used. Why did that need you to then edit your post and add more commentary? :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2018, 11:23:29 AM
Wow, so he misunderstood the verb you had used. Why did that need you to then edit your post and add more commentary? :wacko:

Because this happens so often with him I have lost count.

I think I will stop bothering with this place

garbon

Zoupa

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2018, 10:29:04 AM
I said there is a long history of WASPs preferring WASPs, it would be helpful if you read what I post rather than responding to something I did not post.

Maybe if you wrote more clearly, you wouldn't create so much confusion.  "WASPs preferring WASPs" implies that they preferred the acronym "WASPs"

QuoteIt is indeed wierd that anyone would deny that WASPs have historically shown preferential treatment to WASPs.

It is indeed weird that you didn't say this to begin with.  Yes, people historically have preferred people like themselves.  That's certainly not a distinction that helps anyone define a "WASP."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 10, 2018, 12:05:38 PM
"WASPs preferring WASPs" implies that they preferred the acronym "WASPs"

Yes. This. I thought my interpretation was clear from how I responded, I apologize if it was not.