Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 06, 2018, 04:00:52 PM
I was unaware of that.

Because that picture was not taken during the national anthem.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tim-tebow-kneel-anthem/

Snopes rates this meme as false.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I think anybody who saw that he was offered three NFL contracts knew it was false.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

So Mexican-American or Nigerian-American would be fine.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I don't think I have ever heard anybody call themselves 'Hispanic-American' in my entire life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

I'll bet they've heard people describe themselves as Italian-American, or Polish-American, or what not.  I'm sure Syt's sisters have called themselves German-Americans at some point.

Myself, I'm proudly Ukrainian-Canadian. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2018, 02:31:43 PM
I'll bet they've heard people describe themselves as Italian-American, or Polish-American, or what not.  I'm sure Syt's sisters have called themselves German-Americans at some point.

Myself, I'm proudly Ukrainian-Canadian. :thumbsup:

I know I've definitely referred to myself as Irish-American at times.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2018, 02:39:20 PM
Let's not forget about the WASPs

I don't think that is often used as a positive self-identifier.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2018, 03:34:01 PM

Really, because there is a long history of WASPs preferring WASPs.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 08, 2018, 05:01:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2018, 03:34:01 PM

Really, because there is a long history of WASPs preferring WASPs.

It is a bit like calling yourself the 'establishment'. It is a bit of a pejorative term to apply to oneself un-ironically.

But hey tell me about this long history.

Razgovory

Oh, so you want the long history?  Okay.

[1] This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
[2] Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
[3] And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
[4] And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
[5] And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
[6] And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:
[7] And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters:
[8] And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.
[9] And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan:
[10] And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters:
[11] And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died.
[12] And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel:
[13] And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters:
[14] And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died.
[15] And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared:
[16] And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters:
[17] And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died.
[18] And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch:
[19] And Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
[20] And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died.
[21] And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:
[22] And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
[23] And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
[24] And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
[25] And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech:
[26] And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:
[27] And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.
[28] And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:
[29] And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.
[30] And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters:
[31] And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died.
[32] And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

And so on...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

None of those people self identify as WASPs :P