Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: dps on August 31, 2018, 12:51:21 PM
Guess we should be reporting corrupt real estate deals, too, then.  Though not to ICE.

And people violating the emoluments clause.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

And people with their own email servers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

And people who bring unsecure phones into a SCIF (Special Compartmented Information Facility).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

QuoteThis is Carol McCain, John McCain's first wife. She was not invited to McCain's Arizona funeral either. McCain adopted his first wife Carol's two children, Douglas and Andrew, after the couple married in 1965 and a year later they had their only child together: Sidney. All of the McCain children attended his funeral service in Arizona, including Carol's children, Douglas and Andrew. The mother of three of his children, Carol, was not invited, and neither was Sarah Palin, his VP candidate in 2008.

Two years after marrying, John became a prisoner of war and was not released back to his family until 1973. In turn, Carol had to raise her sons and the couple's daughter for an estimated six years, on her own. When McCain returned home from Vietnam in 1973 after being captured and held as a prisoner of war for five years, he found out about a car accident Carol had three years earlier that left her badly injured.

He left her because she was disfigured and started dating Cindy Hensley while still married to Carol. McCain pushed for a divorce in 1980 and, that same year, McCain married Cindy, who was 17 years younger.

Cindy was born into a wealthy family - her father was one of the biggest Anheuser Busch distributors in the United States. After her father died, she inherited the company and has an estimated net worth of over $100 million.

Ronald and Nancy Reagan were both appalled at McCain for what he did to his first wife. Carol McCain was Director of the White House Visitors Office during the Reagan administration. This is the guy the media is now holding up as a saint? I think not.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Reply with a link to Trump's first wife maybe?  :D

Valmy

Strawman. Nobody is saying he is a saint or some sort of perfect person.

But man your family loves making bogus claims and then arguing from that basis.

And I neither know nor care if that story is true. But since it is part of an internet meme I will just assume it is entirely fabricated or told in a very misleading way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Not totally useless that facebook post. I was curious why Dearborn was so important to him; that place has an interesting demography.

Razgovory

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 05, 2018, 02:08:24 AM
Not totally useless that facebook post. I was curious why Dearborn was so important to him; that place has an interesting demography.

There is a Right-wing conspiracy that Dearborn Michigan has fallen to Sharia law.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, there would be  :lol:

A lot of the Arab-Americans there are Lebanese Christian by background though; I'm sure thay would let us know if a Caliphate was pending.

Trying to find the religious breakdown at the moment.............it looks similar to Lebanon/Syria........... ie very complicated.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2018, 08:46:48 AM
An FB friend of mine unironically posted this: https://trumpbetrayed.us/all/breaking-michael-jordan-resigns-from-the-board-at-nike-takes-air-jordans-with-him/

:lol:

I am not sure what "unironically" means in this context.  Do you mean that he meant this "headline" to be taken seriously?  Lots of humorous posts aren't meant to be ironic, just funny.

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on September 03, 2018, 10:35:54 AM
QuoteThis is Carol McCain, John McCain's first wife. She was not invited to McCain's Arizona funeral either. McCain adopted his first wife Carol's two children, Douglas and Andrew, after the couple married in 1965 and a year later they had their only child together: Sidney. All of the McCain children attended his funeral service in Arizona, including Carol's children, Douglas and Andrew. The mother of three of his children, Carol, was not invited, and neither was Sarah Palin, his VP candidate in 2008.

Two years after marrying, John became a prisoner of war and was not released back to his family until 1973. In turn, Carol had to raise her sons and the couple's daughter for an estimated six years, on her own. When McCain returned home from Vietnam in 1973 after being captured and held as a prisoner of war for five years, he found out about a car accident Carol had three years earlier that left her badly injured.

He left her because she was disfigured and started dating Cindy Hensley while still married to Carol. McCain pushed for a divorce in 1980 and, that same year, McCain married Cindy, who was 17 years younger.

Cindy was born into a wealthy family - her father was one of the biggest Anheuser Busch distributors in the United States. After her father died, she inherited the company and has an estimated net worth of over $100 million.

Ronald and Nancy Reagan were both appalled at McCain for what he did to his first wife. Carol McCain was Director of the White House Visitors Office during the Reagan administration. This is the guy the media is now holding up as a saint? I think not.

Six years passed between McCain's return to the US and the breakup of his first marriage.

I don't think anyone ever held up McCain as a saint, least of all McCain himself.  He always admitted he acted badly to his first wife.

I'm also going to take a wild guess and surmise that the person who wrote this is a Trump supporter, raising some obvious questions about double standards and hypocrisy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2018, 10:28:40 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2018, 08:46:48 AM
An FB friend of mine unironically posted this: https://trumpbetrayed.us/all/breaking-michael-jordan-resigns-from-the-board-at-nike-takes-air-jordans-with-him/

:lol:

I am not sure what "unironically" means in this context.  Do you mean that he meant this "headline" to be taken seriously?

That's precisely what I mean.  She posts a lot of the same stuff that Syt's sisters and in-laws post-- in this case I don't think she took the time to read through the article, nor did she seem to notice the author's name is Flagg Eagleton, or that the name of the site is trumpbetrayed.us

One of her friends has since replied "Good for him!" but then someone spoiled the fun by posting the snopes refutation.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall