News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

:lol:

Right - move along, no whining or blaming others going on here.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Syt, you should tell your sister that racial pride is an unseemly quality in Germans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2018, 11:05:02 AM
Syt, you should tell your sister that racial pride is an unseemly quality in Germans.

Should non-Germans take pride in their race?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 13, 2018, 11:26:36 AM

"Setting fire to your house is stupid."

That doesn't imply that setting fire to your car is not stupid.

garbon

Unless you can get away with collecting the insurance money.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2018, 12:38:03 PM

That may make the statement incorrect, but it is to implied by the preceding statement.

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 13, 2018, 11:26:36 AM

"Race" is problematic to put it mildly, but I've always thought that everyone should take pride in their ethnic heritage. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 13, 2018, 12:42:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2018, 12:38:03 PM

That may make the statement incorrect, but it is to implied by the preceding statement.

It was a comment on both. Like your car could be in the garage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Memorable pictures of the Queen and American Presidents

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2018, 12:45:55 PM
"Race" is problematic to put it mildly, but I've always thought that everyone should take pride in their ethnic heritage. :mellow:

Why be proud of a completely random result? Unless maybe my particular heritage was being repressed, I could see the appeal in that.
I take somewhat of an interest in my heritage but pride it definitely is not.

Barrister

Quote from: Maladict on July 15, 2018, 03:32:14 PM

Why be proud of a completely random result? Unless maybe my particular heritage was being repressed, I could see the appeal in that.

Because if you're not proud of your heritage, no one else is going to be.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2018, 05:46:25 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 15, 2018, 03:32:14 PM

Because if you're not proud of your heritage, no one else is going to be.

So no reason then?