Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: dps on November 11, 2017, 01:22:51 PM
I thought his point was more that it's possible for people to be wrongfully accused, and while the legal system has some protections for the falsely accused, the court of public opinion really doesn't.

This is certainly a concern.

What is disturbing, is the notion that the court of public opinion is making up for the failures of the legal system - which is a charge that has much truth to it. 

Most of these guys were never charged back in the day, because it was well-known that actually making a charge stick was nearly impossible - they were too well-connected, the scales were balanced against complainants, who would see their own reputations dragged in the mud without touching the perps.

Problem is that the court of public opinion can easily lurch the other way - with so many totally justified examples, it is easy to see how destroying someone's reputation by adding one more to the list (because you don't like them, or to gain fame, or for blackmail) becomes a possibility. 

Thing is, it is going to be really hard to disprove such an accusation, particularly if it allegedly happened decades ago.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Steve Mnuchin's wife might be the actual brain behind this entire Operation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

My increased insurance premiums were more than enough from you this holiday season, thanks.  Now find something really sharp and shove it up your ass, so you can bleed to death internally and not know it.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney