News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2017, 06:15:25 PM
The consequences they are suffering are commercial, not legal.  As long as consumers are free to spend their money on whatever they want, what you described will continue.

It's fair that with most of these cases, my point will be a weak one...especially in the cases (such as Louis CK's) where it doesn't appear the accusations were even made in order to bring about criminal consequences...and even more so when the accused admits their transgression (hanging themselves, as it were).  My concern perhaps might be better expressed as a concern about creating a climate where a simple accusation is enough, even if denied and absent proof.

Easy to not care when the accused is likely guilty...but the tragedy is that we'll also similarly not care in a potential case where one is not.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2017, 06:15:25 PM
Surely it wouldn't make any sense to require people to continue watching House of Cards or Louis CK's comedy shows until they are proven guilty.

It's easy to make such a point and beat it down when no had suggested it. :P

Admiral Yi

No it's not.  It damn hard work to look this god every day.

Seriously, it's a point which follows from the position that there should be no commercial consequences for as yet unproven allegations.

garbon

It seems like all the ones I'm seeing taking a tumble had rumours about their behavior for years. Doesn't seem for the most part just one accuser taking them down.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on November 10, 2017, 07:32:00 PM
It seems like all the ones I'm seeing taking a tumble had rumours about their behavior for years. Doesn't seem for the most part just one accuser taking them down.

Yea. If it was know about CK, why is it just now coming out. He's a low power player.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on November 10, 2017, 07:43:52 PM
Yea. If it was know about CK, why is it just now coming out. He's a low power player.

There's a difference between the studio world and the comedy writing and road standup club world.  He's not Seinfeld, but he's become exponentially more influential than his peers the last 10 years.

Sophie Scholl

I read an article about it a while ago.  While the article sucked, the point seemed to be that CK was a fairly well known user and abuser of women and female comics in particular and was being shielded by the comedy community from being publicly shamed and outed for his actions.  It seems that a lot of the willingness to remain complicit in the burying of sexual misconduct by the community is falling apart.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 10, 2017, 08:19:07 PM

I read an article about it a while ago.  While the article sucked, the point seemed to be that CK was a fairly well known user and abuser of women and female comics in particular and was being shielded by the comedy community from being publicly shamed and outed for his actions.  It seems that a lot of the willingness to remain complicit in the burying of sexual misconduct by the community is falling apart.

They are just as complicit. They should be outed also.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2017, 07:07:01 PM
No it's not.  It damn hard work to look this god every day.

Seriously, it's a point which follows from the position that there should be no commercial consequences for as yet unproven allegations.

As you are the only one suggesting that position, I will continue to let you argue with yourself.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 10, 2017, 06:05:32 PM
While it's fine that sexual abusers are being called out, the only thing that bothers me about it is that in most of the cases there is either is no legal due process, or that the media coverage doesn't/wont care about it by the time it gets to that point (if it ever does). 

It does almost create some kind of sense that having enough accusers is enough to bring someone down (even those who deserve to be so)...with no care about whether or not is ever proven legally.  The mayor of Seattle was brought down this way recently as well.

Are most of the accusations true, and do these guys deserve what they get?  Yeah, most likely.  Does it bother me that most of the consequences they are suffering are coming without any legal due process?  Yes, and it should bother a society based on law too...but that doesn't appear to be bothering anyone at all.

I basically agree. The internet mob justice thing is dangerous as hell.

At least so far it has been directed at obviously guilty people, so far as the sex stuff that is.

I do feel like Spacey is getting it a bit harder than he deserves but hey.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2017, 10:41:40 PM

While it's fine that sexual abusers are being called out, the only thing that bothers me about it is that in most of the cases there is either is no legal due process, or that the media coverage doesn't/wont care about it by the time it gets to that point (if it ever does). 

There's already a body count, a senior Welsh politican committed suicide after allegations were made against him; his party, Welsh labour basically hung him out to dry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41953430

Family critical of Carl Sargeant allegations inquiry

11 November 2017

Carl Sargeant died on Tuesday after an investigation was launched into his conduct

The family of Carl Sargeant has criticised a decision to use a Welsh official to set up an inquiry on how allegations against him were handled.

The AM for Alyn and Deeside was found dead four days after he was sacked from the Welsh Government cabinet by Wales' First Minister Carwyn Jones.

Mr Sargeant was being investigated over claims of "touching or groping" and is understood to have taken his own life.

His family want the inquiry established by a civil servant from outside Wales.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

It does almost create some kind of sense that having enough accusers is enough to bring someone down (even those who deserve to be so)...with no care about whether or not is ever proven legally.  The mayor of Seattle was brought down this way recently as well.

Are most of the accusations true, and do these guys deserve what they get?  Yeah, most likely.  Does it bother me that most of the consequences they are suffering are coming without any legal due process?  Yes, and it should bother a society based on law too...but that doesn't appear to be bothering anyone at all.

I don't agree in the least.

The consequences for acting like an asshole douchebag are often not legal in nature. Being an asshole or douchebag is actually not even illegal sometimes.

The sum of valid bad things that can happen to you as a reasonable response to your own actions are not bounded by the legal system.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2017, 09:59:44 AM

I don't agree in the least.

The consequences for acting like an asshole douchebag are often not legal in nature. Being an asshole or douchebag is actually not even illegal sometimes.

The sum of valid bad things that can happen to you as a reasonable response to your own actions are not bounded by the legal system.
I don't think that was his point.  I think everyone understands that the consequences of being an asshole can be extra-judicial, and that is precisely what people are uneasy about, as such consequences can be devastating.  Humans have tended to reserve devastating comeuppances for naughty actions for the legal system, partly to give some protection against unfair outcomes.

dps

I thought his point was more that it's possible for people to be wrongfully accused, and while the legal system has some protections for the falsely accused, the court of public opinion really doesn't.