News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Savonarola

My youngest brother had a flute-a-phone.  I think those are actually worse because you can get more sound out of their whistle.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2017, 07:40:50 PM
No band shit for my kids.

That's because Daddy knows what goes on at band camp.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 13, 2017, 07:40:50 PM
No band shit for my kids.

So, will you be buying bagpipes and hurdy-gurdies for everyone?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

QuoteSo many women are posting #MeToo because they were sexually abused or harassed.

I think most men are seeing these "me too" posts and thinking, "Not me! I never abused a woman." Not so fast bro, take another moment before you give yourself a pass.
I think most men have crossed a woman's boundaries at some point in their lives. I have crossed women's boundaries on many occasions in my life. I am not proud of it. Actually, I had no idea how much shame and guilt I was holding onto until I looked at it.

I have pressured women into having sex with me through emotional manipulation many times. I have had sex with women who were too drunk. Even with consistent partners, I know there were times she didn't want to have sex, but went with it anyway just to please me.

The truth is that if a woman does not feel 100% safe in a sexual experience, it is traumatic for her. It's can still be true even when people are in a relationship.

So here's the main point. If an experience is traumatic for the woman, it is also traumatic for the man. But men have a really hard time looking at this. Abuser is the last thing we ever want to be labeled as.

As men we categorize "sexual abusers" as pedophiles or rapists, but these are the extreme examples. Because we do not want to go anywhere near those categories, we fail to accept that we have ever crossed a woman's boundaries on any level. And this is incredibly damaging to us, because if we have traumatized a women in any way though a sexual experience, we are holding onto massive amounts of shame and guilt.

So I want to challenge my brothers to look at this. I had no idea how much this was affecting me until I looked at it. And after I did, I began to tell my story to the women in my life. And sure enough, the guilt began to release. They understood I had acted out of ignorance. Through this process, I was able to forgive myself.

So this is where I want to take the conversation. We must seek to understand, not to be understood. Through understanding we find forgiveness. Through forgiveness, we find peace.

I love you all,

John

P.S. The photo is from my sophomore year of college when I thought I was a really cool bro and had lots of backward hats in my closet.

So I saw this on FB being shared and thought: 1) wow, you were a terrible person and 2) why do we care about the shame and guilt you felt that you've released as you come to terms with how terrible you were?

Of course, response to this post is that this man is great for having recognized and spoken up about his past flaws.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Yeah terrible people trying to tar everyone with their filth just so they can feel better about themselves doesn't strike me as very attractive. And trying to make having sex with someone who only does it to please you in any way equivalent to taking advantage of someone too drunk is BS. I've had sex with people when I didn't really feel like it just to please them, that shit may be tedious but it's not traumatic.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 18, 2017, 01:50:04 AM
So I saw this on FB being shared and thought: 1) wow, you were a terrible person and 2) why do we care about the shame and guilt you felt that you've released as you come to terms with how terrible you were?

3) What are the statutes of limitations for sexual misconduct in your state of residency?

QuoteOf course, response to this post is that this man is great for having recognized and spoken up about his past flaws.

I'm sure that will make him feel better as the lawsuits get going.

Valmy

What so he whined to a woman that he wanted sex and she gave in to shut him up and this was unsafe sexual abuse? I mean surely we are all not this fragile that that is some sort of traumatic event. But his vagueness on what it was he did that was so guilt inducing makes it hard to know what he is navel gazing about. Well I guess the drunk thing was bad...maybe...again he is vague.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Nice to see a bunch of dudes opining on sexual abuse and harassment, just what we all needed.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: sbr on October 18, 2017, 08:32:17 AM
Nice to see a bunch of dudes opining on sexual abuse and harassment, just what we all needed.

You're right, we should go back to pretending such things never happen.