Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Savonarola

I did have to reactivate my account for rivalry day:

Through the miracle of Google I learned that a number of states have their equivalent to "Walmart Wolverines."

When I was at AT&T one of our project managers said that his daughter, then in grade school, was usually a straight A student, but got a B in art.  She asked "Does this mean I have to go to Michigan State?"   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

I love the fact that Sparty fans think they are clever by pointing out that, while only MSU grads are fans of MSU, everyone else in the state is a fan of Michigan.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 07, 2017, 04:18:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2017, 04:06:18 PM
everyone else in the state is a fan of Michigan.

Unlikely.

According to Sparty it is true. They take great pride in claiming that only MSU grads wear MSU colors.

It isn't true, of course, but Sparty doesn't seem to realize how absurd they sound by claiming that it is true.  See Sav's post.

What is true is that MSU and UM grads share the fact that they all could have gotten accepted to MSU.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2017, 04:49:17 PM
That's how it is in Iowa.

Everyone in Iowa who isn't a Michigan State grad is a Michigan fan?  That's kind of weird.   

;)

CountDeMoney

I will concede that Michigan produces much bigger douchebags.

Savonarola

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 07, 2017, 04:18:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2017, 04:06:18 PM
everyone else in the state is a fan of Michigan.

Unlikely.

Well, not today at least.

;)

While Notre Dame does have a contingent of fans in Michigan who don't have a tie to the university; generally sports fans in Michigan who didn't go to a Division I college with a good sports program will root for Michigan.  Michigan State has had championship teams over the years, but it's generally thought of as the "Second school."

Some Walmart Wolverines take their fandom much further than they should.  I have a nephew who had maize and blue as his wedding colors; they had the University of Michigan fight song played as they entered the reception.  Both he and his wife went to Central Michigan University.  No one in either family went to Michigan or works for the University of Michigan.  It was well beyond my understanding; especially since my alma mater's (unofficial) fight song is so much better than "Hail to the Victors."

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

I have a young couple that moved into my building from Michigan, they've got a car with Central Michigan decals all over their car.  I feel sorry for them.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive