Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

Undecided as to whether that's meme-y or racist.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

I get why the right (and especially the Pro-Trump right) continues this on Facebook; it allows them to portray the left as unpatriotic and hating the military.  I don't get why the left feels the need to perpetuate this issue; there are much more serious problems with the Trump administration.  Undoubtedly the misuse of government planes or private e-mail servers or the disaster in Puerto Rico could be turned into juvenile profound and thought provoking memes.

I don't want to be the person who goes on like "I can't believe we are discussing this when children are starving in Africa," so I deactivated my Facebook account (again.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

It might not have anything to do with Trump. I mean this protest is supposed to be about persecution of black people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2017, 01:03:13 PM
It might not have anything to do with Trump. I mean this protest is supposed to be about persecution of black people.

Everything is about Trump.  It's a Trumptastic world!

;)

I wasn't seeing this on my Facebook feed until Donald Trump's Alabama speech.  Even posters who never posted about police shootings or BLM one way or the other are posting about the NFL.

garbon

Well he made it a bigger deal for people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

I do think that Secretary Mnuchin's comments were revelatory of a certain entrenched attitude (aside from the sheer bizarro world aspect of a Treasury Secretary making a press appearance to comment on the speech rights of football players).  He basically said that players are employees, and have to accept the rules their employer gives them: "This is a job. And the employers have the right, when the players are working, to have rules."

What Mnuchin apparently forgot is that the NFL is unionized work place, subject to a CBA.  The NFL and its clubs can't just enforce any rules they want anytime, it has to comply with the CBA rules on discipline, including the grievance procedures.  It's telling that Mnuchin just assumes as a matter of course that an employee must necessarily be a peon who is compelled to toe the line to whatever workplace rule the NFL may impose any time or any place, it says volumes about his preconceptions about the proper relationship between labor and business.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 28, 2017, 02:32:02 PM
What Mnuchin apparently forgot is that the NFL is unionized work place, subject to a CBA.  The NFL and its clubs can't just enforce any rules they want anytime, it has to comply with the CBA rules on discipline, including the grievance procedures.  It's telling that Mnuchin just assumes as a matter of course that an employee must necessarily be a peon who is compelled to toe the line to whatever workplace rule the NFL may impose any time or any place, it says volumes about his preconceptions about the proper relationship between labor and business.

He's by no means an exception, MM.  That happens to be the prevailing opinion in modern American society, going on 40 years now. Even John Q. Laborer is deferential to management in this era of political and societal hostility towards unions.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

No way a driver is going to get over that house.

CountDeMoney

That doesn't look like a driver to me, looks like a wedge.