And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

All I have for insight is a couple FB friends who apparently bit into the Pizzagate thing hook, line & sinker.  They were careful enough to couch their statements, but it was clear they bought it.  They seem convinced that there is an acute tendency among leftist/Hollywood elites and other groups of people toward child abuse, trafficking, even sacrifice-- with Satanism thrown into the mix. 

I guess sometimes you just create your own demons where none really exist.  It's not enough for the other side to be wrong-- they have to be 100% evil.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2017, 01:18:58 PM
All I have for insight is a couple FB friends who apparently bit into the Pizzagate thing hook, line & sinker.  They were careful enough to couch their statements, but it was clear they bought it.  They seem convinced that there is an acute tendency among leftist/Hollywood elites and other groups of people toward child abuse, trafficking, even sacrifice-- with Satanism thrown into the mix. 

I guess sometimes you just create your own demons where none really exist.  It's not enough for the other side to be wrong-- they have to be 100% evil.

So your friends were to the Democrats as Raz is to "libertarians"? 

Garrison is a bog-standard alt-right Trumpeter, but Raz seemly has to make him "libertarian" to really hate him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on September 20, 2017, 02:33:04 PM

Garrison is a bog-standard alt-right Trumpeter, but Raz seemly has to make him "libertarian" to really hate him.

Indeed. There is nothing about Garrison that makes one think "Oh, he is a libertarian".

If Raz could claim he is an atheist as well, he would.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 20, 2017, 03:51:50 PM

Indeed. There is nothing about Garrison that makes one think "Oh, he is a libertarian".

Well I don't think one has to actually think he is a libertarian but given that Ben Garrison calls himself that - that is one factor beyond just Raz claiming he is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I've always thought the foundational belief of libertarianism is that the greatest good is individual human freedom (hence the name), not that the greatest good is the smallest government.  The second is a means to an end.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2017, 03:54:29 PM

Well I don't think one has to actually think he is a libertarian but given that Ben Garrison calls himself that - that is one factor beyond just Raz claiming he is.

But that isn't why Raz wants to call him out - because his crazy ass cartoon is somehow obviously indicative of a typical libertarian mindset, and hence *obviously* that is what libertarians mostly think, and not just what this guy thinks.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on September 20, 2017, 05:59:36 PM

But that isn't why Raz wants to call him out - because his crazy ass cartoon is somehow obviously indicative of a typical libertarian mindset, and hence *obviously* that is what libertarians mostly think, and not just what this guy thinks.

What should I call him?  He's draws political cartoons and calls himself a libertarian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2017, 04:02:07 PM
I've always thought the foundational belief of libertarianism is that the greatest good is individual human freedom (hence the name), not that the greatest good is the smallest government.  The second is a means to an end.

Doesn't seem to describe the more prominent libertarian candidates though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 20, 2017, 05:59:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 20, 2017, 03:54:29 PM

Fair enough.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 20, 2017, 06:05:47 PM
What should I call him?  He's draws political cartoons and calls himself a libertarian.

The issue is what you call everyone else who calls themselves a libertarian.

DGuller

I think the reason libertarians draw higher scrutiny, which they can very rarely withstand, is that "because liberty" argument carries a lot more moral high ground than "because it's the Democrat way" or "because it's the GOP way".  Therefore, if the person making that argument is applying libertarian ideology selectively, he's not deserving of the extra legitimacy he tries to claim for his views.  People that try to claim the moral high ground but are not in fact deserving of it tend to irritate other people greatly.

Valmy

It just annoys me that so many xenophobic assholes claim they are libertarians and then point to how the government has failed to crush foreigners and jews. Like this guy. I see them all over the internet whenever you go to some libertarian group.

I didn't mean to get into some kind of weird 'flavors of libertarians' with Spicey there.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2017, 06:37:20 PM
It just annoys me that so many xenophobic assholes claim they are libertarians and then point to how the government has failed to crush foreigners and jews. Like this guy. I see them all over the internet whenever you go to some libertarian group.

I didn't mean to get into some kind of weird 'flavors of libertarians' with Spicey there.

I wonder if the libertarians know that Spicy smuggles Latinos into the US through the uterus.