And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2017, 09:20:29 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2017, 09:18:46 AM
Statism is a strong term, but yeah it is a contradiction.  Politics has lots of 'em though.

Well they can claim to be whatever they want but they are not libertarians.

That seems a bit silly.  So unless you score 100% on the libertarian test you can't call yourself a libertarian?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Statism is a strong term, but yeah it is a contradiction.  Politics has lots of 'em though.

Who are you to demand ideological purity for libertarians?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 20, 2017, 09:34:10 AM

That seems a bit silly.  So unless you score 100% on the libertarian test you can't call yourself a libertarian?

No but you at least have to score 100% on the basics. Otherwise you are a liar. If you don't think government works and is evil then you cannot say 'oh but we need it to do this set of very important priorities'. Then it sounds like you do think government works and should be used for important priorities, you just disagree on what those priorities should be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2017, 09:35:21 AM

Who are you to demand ideological purity for libertarians?

A human? Am I forbidden to have opinions on Languish all of the sudden?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2017, 09:37:09 AM
No but you at least have to score 100% on the basics. Otherwise you are a liar. If you don't think government works and is evil then you cannot say 'oh but we need it to do this set of very important priorities'. Then it sounds like you do think government works and should be used for important priorities, you just disagree on what those priorities should be.

Now you're just making fun of libertarians. 

THATS IT IM LEAVING AND ITS ALL VALMYS FAULT

:P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Valmy's opinion is correct. Everyone else is being a fool.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 20, 2017, 10:14:15 AM

Valmy is conflating libertarians with anarchists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2017, 09:19:22 AM
Sounds like they don't believe in government except for really important things that matter to them.

That's to be expected, though.  It's the way tribal politics work.  Democrats don't believe in allowing individuals to make decisions, unless they themselves are the individual.  Republicans want the least amount of regulation that still allows the absolute prohibition of activities they find immoral.  Crazy as batshit, both tribes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2017, 10:46:59 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 20, 2017, 10:14:15 AM

Valmy is conflating libertarians with anarchists.

Libertarians are closer to anarchists than they are to republicans or democrats.  Anarchists are just a bit further out on the "personal liberty" scale, in that libertarians concede a role for government and statute law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on September 20, 2017, 11:17:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2017, 09:19:22 AM
Sounds like they don't believe in government except for really important things that matter to them.

That's to be expected, though.  It's the way tribal politics work.  Democrats don't believe in allowing individuals to make decisions, unless they themselves are the individual.  Republicans want the least amount of regulation that still allows the absolute prohibition of activities they find immoral.  Crazy as batshit, both tribes.

And apperently the Libertarian tribe is not particularly keen on Hispanics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

Spirit cooking is when you jizz in a cake, right?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson