News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 25, 2017, 10:22:28 AM
Who was it who had a mancrush on Speer? Hortense?

Yep. Is he Prime Minister yet?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 25, 2017, 10:32:47 AM

Yep. Is he Prime Minister yet?

I don't think so. The current PM is a waste of space but too far left I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

he also wanted to bang the 14 year old daughters of clients; so you know, not the best moral compass out there. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

All Waffle-SS fanbois love Speer;  he's the "good nazi."

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 25, 2017, 09:46:22 AM
The Germans don't erect statutes to Guderian, Manstein, and Speer and in front of their courthouses.
We do have things named for Erwin Rommel or Paul von Hindenburg though, although there is a slow tendency to remove especially Hindenburg.

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 25, 2017, 03:46:09 AM
The Germans have preserved Dachau, haven't they?

They don't really much of a choice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

QuoteYour history lesson for the day.

Robert E Lee was married to George Washington's granddaughter. He worked with Grant during the Mexican-American war and became a decorated war hero defending this country He believed slavery was a great evil and his wife broke the law by teaching slaves to read and write. After the civil war he worked with Andrew Johnson's program of reconstruction. He became very popular with the northern states and the Barracks at West Point were named in his honor in 1962. He was a great man who served this country his entire life in some form or other. His memorial is now being called a blight. No American military veteran should be treated as such. People keep yelling, "You can't change history." Sadly you can. This is no better than book burnings. ISIS tried rewriting history by destroying historical artifacts. Is that really who we want to emulate?

As they tear down this "blight" keep these few historical facts in your mind. No military veteran and highly decorated war hero should ever be treated as such. This is not Iraq and that is not a statue of Sadam.

IN ADDITION:: Lee was also very torn about the prospect of the South leaving the Union. His wifes grandfather George Washington was a huge influence on him. He believed that ultimately, states rights trumped the federal government and chose to lead the Southern army. His estate, Arlington, near Washington DC was his home and while away fighting the war, the federal government demanded that Lee himself pay his taxes in person. He sent his wife but the money was not accepted from a woman. When he could not pay the taxes, the government began burying dead Union soldiers on his land. The government is still burying people there today. It is now called Arlington National Cemetery. DO THEY WANT TO TEAR THAT UP ALSO ??
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

:lol:  no, you can't change history.  Not even with shitty history rewrites.

The Arlington bit is hilarious, though.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2017, 02:25:53 PM
QuoteAfter the civil war he worked with Andrew Johnson's program of reconstruction.

:blink:

Andrew Johnson's program was to try to veto everything and have it overturned by a 2/3rds Republican majority.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2017, 04:41:41 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2017, 02:25:53 PM
QuoteAfter the civil war he worked with Andrew Johnson's program of reconstruction.

:blink:

Andrew Johnson's program was to try to veto everything and have it overturned by a 2/3rds Republican majority.

I had to read Wikipedia, because I'm not familiar at all with that part, and again, it seems to stretch the truth (as expected), but not an outright lie.  Or am I missing something?
QuoteLee, who had opposed secession and remained mostly indifferent to politics before the Civil War, supported President Johnson's plan of Presidential Reconstruction that took effect in 1865–66. However, he opposed the Congressional Republican program that took effect in 1867. In February 1866, he was called to testify before the Joint Congressional Committee on Reconstruction in Washington, where he expressed support for President Andrew Johnson's plans for quick restoration of the former Confederate states, and argued that restoration should return, as far as possible, the status quo ante in the Southern states' governments (with the exception of slavery).[124]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

It's not a lie. It camouflages what "President Johnson's plan for Reconstruction" was - the quick reinstatment of Confederate states into the union, being BFF with white supremacists, and generally oppose voting rights for freedmen.

But of course, for those who wrote the above, these are probably all admirable traits.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 28, 2017, 08:11:32 PM
It camouflages what "President Johnson's plan for Reconstruction" was - the quick reinstatment of Confederate states into the union, being BFF with white supremacists, and generally oppose voting rights for freedmen.
ah, I should have started with "reconstruction".
thanks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Jack Kennedy included the senator who was the deciding vote to not impeach Johnson (fell one short IIRC) in his book "Profiles in Courage" in a very transparent effort to suck up to southern voters.

Eddie Teach

A third of the Senate were deciding votes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?