Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Kudos for drawing a parallel between Lee and the Holocaust though  :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on August 25, 2017, 02:43:54 AM
How clever they must consider themselves for having come up with that one. Jesus.

Yeah, I saw someone make that argument.  Though she claimed that the Germans perserved it.  I had to point out that the Auschwitz was in Poland, and the Germans really didn't have much say in what is preserved.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The Germans have preserved Dachau, haven't they?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2017, 06:03:40 PM
I read the letters that are the source for people's views on his thoughts on race and slavery and yeah he does say there are a few problems with it but overall he basically has a perfectly conventional view of slavery for a member of his class. Slavery in America was much better for blacks than living in Africa.
No argument from me.  He certainly wasn't an abolitionist.

QuoteThe abolitionists were vile troublemakers who were breaking apart the country.
Well, breaking apart the country is evil, isn't it? ;)

QuoteI feel like people tend to ignore most of what he says on these topics but focus on little nuggets and blow them out of proportion
You mean people are transforming history to suit their political vision?  say it ain't so!  :P

I remember being very annoyed by Gods and Generals and Gettysburg putting ridiculous abolitionist statements in the mouths of Longstreet and Jackson. I see no evidence either was so detached from the reality of slavery in the South even in the unlikely event they did have those opinions. But the number of abolitionists in Confederate Army was probably much lower than sometimes perceived...like zero.
I don't recall about Jackson holding abolitionist views, I remember him having a black friend. It seemed odd at first, but then I read that a few free blacks joined the Confederates and a few slaves hoping to be freed.

As for Longstreet, I didn't interpret it as being an abolitionist view.  His talk of freeing the slaves then firing on Fort Sumter (or seceding, I can't remember) was a political manoeuver to insure the Confederacy's survival.  He knew full well the Confederates couldn't hope to survive without, at the very least, recognition from France and England, at best, a military alliance, and that would not come as long as they were a slave State.  It's hard to pretend you fight for State's right and gain sympathy for your cause when you're still practicing slavery, one of the (if not the) last Christian nation where it is practiced.

It's funny we talk about Longstreet now, I woke up this morning wondering if any of his statues got tore down and I read this:
Where are the monuments to Confederate Gen. James Longstreet?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 25, 2017, 01:43:57 AM
Every time I think memes can't get any stupider, and shameless...
It makes me realize how I truly lack imagination.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2017, 08:12:31 AM
It's hard to pretend you fight for State's right and gain sympathy for your cause when you're still practicing slavery, one of the (if not the) last Christian nation where it is practiced.

Brazil would have been the last (1888).  Cuba still had slaves until 1886.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on August 25, 2017, 08:22:18 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2017, 08:12:31 AM
It's hard to pretend you fight for State's right and gain sympathy for your cause when you're still practicing slavery, one of the (if not the) last Christian nation where it is practiced.

Brazil would have been the last (1888).  Cuba still had slaves until 1886.
didn't some Confederates move there after the war (Brazil)?  Or was it Argentina?  I seem to remember someone posting pictures of Confederates descendants in grey uniforms from somewhere in South America.

Eddie Teach

But they were Catholics so it didn't count. Right, viper?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 25, 2017, 08:44:41 AM
But they were Catholics so it didn't count. Right, viper?
Catholics are good people.  Only Protestants are evil sinners.  This is what my Catholic school taught us, at least.  ;)

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2017, 08:44:08 AM
didn't some Confederates move there after the war (Brazil)?  Or was it Argentina?  I seem to remember someone posting pictures of Confederates descendants in grey uniforms from somewhere in South America.

Brazil - Confederados

Some also went to Mexico (it's implied that the John Wayne character in "The Searchers" had gone there), and I see from Wikipedia some went to British Honduras as well.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

sbr

Quote from: Savonarola on August 24, 2017, 01:19:00 PM
Saw this on my Facebook feed, and then I saw the President has retweeted this:

Once upon a time I was going in style
Now I'm only going in shock
There's nothing I can do
A total eclipse of Barack

This one kills me. In their analogy Trump is a dead dark useless rock while Obama is the brilliant, glorious life giving sun.

Valmy

It doesn't even make any sense. Obama got eclipsed back in January.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on August 25, 2017, 08:54:38 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2017, 08:44:08 AM

Brazil - Confederados

Some also went to Mexico (it's implied that the John Wayne character in "The Searchers" had gone there), and I see from Wikipedia some went to British Honduras as well.
Yeah, I remembered Mexico, but they were expelled after the overthrow of the Emperor, IIRC.

So it was indeed Brazil.  Very interesting read, thank you :)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 25, 2017, 03:46:09 AM
The Germans have preserved Dachau, haven't they?

yes there is a memorial site.
The closest parallel to that in the US from the Civil war era would be Andersonville, which is preserved as a memorial/museum, and with no plans to close it.
I don't have any objection to preserving Confederate era sites as museums people teaching the atrocities of slavery and the treachery of Confederate leadership in defense of that abhorrent institution.  That's the equivalent of what the Germans do.  But that would require a big change to the way that Confederate memorials are organized now.

The Germans don't erect statutes to Guderian, Manstein, and Speer and in front of their courthouses.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Who was it who had a mancrush on Speer? Hortense?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.