Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on August 24, 2017, 01:10:11 PM
Definitely a worthwhile thing to argue about.
yeah, Grumbler was arguing alone this time, I was merely asking a question :)   
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2017, 01:48:33 PM

:lmfao:  No, you made an assertion, which was incorrect, then doubled down on the stupid. I was just pointing out the stupid.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Let's argue about whether we were arguing!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2017, 10:19:36 AM
"opposed" would be too strong a word.  He didn't like it would be a more appropriate description from what I've read.
Kinda like a necessary evil to him.  But a necessary evil to the white man, less so to the black.

I read the letters that are the source for people's views on his thoughts on race and slavery and yeah he does say there are a few problems with it but overall he basically has a perfectly conventional view of slavery for a member of his class. Slavery in America was much better for blacks than living in Africa. The abolitionists were vile troublemakers who were breaking apart the country. I feel like people tend to ignore most of what he says on these topics but focus on little nuggets and blow them out of proportion in an attempt to deify the guy. His army had tons of slaves in it doing manual labor, his armies captured free blacks in the north and turned them into slaves, and again he fought in court to keep people enslaved who his father-in-law tried to free. Yet hardly any of his apologists every tackle those facts, they just grasp at straws by taking things he said in his letters out of context.

I remember being very annoyed by Gods and Generals and Gettysburg putting ridiculous abolitionist statements in the mouths of Longstreet and Jackson. I see no evidence either was so detached from the reality of slavery in the South even in the unlikely event they did have those opinions. But the number of abolitionists in Confederate Army was probably much lower than sometimes perceived...like zero.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2017, 06:03:40 PM
I remember being very annoyed by Gods and Generals and Gettysburg putting ridiculous abolitionist statements in the mouths of Longstreet and Jackson.

But didn't you see how much fun Stonewall Jackson's slave was having?  Why, it was positively righteous.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2017, 02:37:52 PM

:lmfao:  No, you made an assertion, which was incorrect, then doubled down on the stupid. I was just pointing out the stupid.
I'll never be able to take anything viper37 says seriously after this debacle.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2017, 06:03:40 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2017, 10:19:36 AM
"opposed" would be too strong a word.  He didn't like it would be a more appropriate description from what I've read.
Kinda like a necessary evil to him.  But a necessary evil to the white man, less so to the black.

I read the letters that are the source for people's views on his thoughts on race and slavery and yeah he does say there are a few problems with it but overall he basically has a perfectly conventional view of slavery for a member of his class. Slavery in America was much better for blacks than living in Africa. The abolitionists were vile troublemakers who were breaking apart the country. I feel like people tend to ignore most of what he says on these topics but focus on little nuggets and blow them out of proportion in an attempt to deify the guy. His army had tons of slaves in it doing manual labor, his armies captured free blacks in the north and turned them into slaves, and again he fought in court to keep people enslaved who his father-in-law tried to free. Yet hardly any of his apologists every tackle those facts, they just grasp at straws by taking things he said in his letters out of context.

I remember being very annoyed by Gods and Generals and Gettysburg putting ridiculous abolitionist statements in the mouths of Longstreet and Jackson. I see no evidence either was so detached from the reality of slavery in the South even in the unlikely event they did have those opinions. But the number of abolitionists in Confederate Army was probably much lower than sometimes perceived...like zero.

I don't know that Longstreet was an abolitionist, but he did join the Republican party after the war.

Ed Anger

Cleburne wanted to use darkies in the Confederate army. It didn't go over well.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2017, 07:06:07 PM

He has approached Marty level in achievement trophy
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on August 24, 2017, 09:11:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 24, 2017, 07:06:07 PM

He has approached Marty level in achievement trophy

The Golden Foot
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 24, 2017, 08:21:33 PM
I don't know that Longstreet was an abolitionist, but he did join the Republican party after the war.

Yeah and he was the leader of a force of black police officers against his own veterans in the bizarre Battle of Liberty Place. So maybe Longstreet did have abolitionist thoughts...I doubt it...but maybe he did. But even if he did the throwaway line in the Gettysburg movie that the Southern states should have just freed the slaves in 1861 before firing on Fort Sumter is amazing. I don't have to explain at length what a bizarrely out of touch thing that is to say. The implication being that people would have been fine with it is just...well...yeah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

And this is why the Confederate memorials must remain, apparently:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Every time I think memes can't get any stupider, and shameless...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

They are certainly a lousy vehicle for debate.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

How clever they must consider themselves for having come up with that one. Jesus.