Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2017, 06:27:55 PM
Hey Seedy, have you joined the John Brown Gun Club yet?

He probably has started his own chapter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Joined?  I'm not just a client, I'm the president!

CountDeMoney

Valmy, you fucker.   :mad:19 seconds. 

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 23, 2017, 04:57:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2017, 03:08:43 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 23, 2017, 02:48:04 PM
Lee didn't own slaves.

Yes he did. What is your source?

Snopes. His father-in-law did.

His Father-in-Law died and he managed the estate and he was a pretty brutal master. His Father-in-Law freed his slaves on his death but Lee sued to keep the slaves in bondage but eventually the court made him free them...many years later. The whole affair was a pretty sorry one for somebody who supposedly was anti-slavery.

I guess he did not technically own them but that does not really justify anything. I mean I don't necessarily hold that against Lee but he gets portrayed as somehow outside the sins of his time for some reason that has no basis in reality, it is all Lost Cause nonsense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2017, 06:30:56 PM
Joined?  I'm not just a client, I'm the president!

Can't wait to see you patrolling with your revolver. If you want to borrow some red armbands, let me know.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2017, 06:27:55 PM
Hey Seedy, have you joined the John Brown Gun Club yet?

John Brown preferred using swords ...  [/Pottawatomie] ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2017, 02:29:59 PM
I never got the 'Lee was an abolishionist' thing. Or how he was opposed to slavery and secession but participated in both yet was a man of great integrity.
"opposed" would be too strong a word.  He didn't like it would be a more appropriate description from what I've read.
Kinda like a necessary evil to him.  But a necessary evil to the white man, less so to the black.

He inherited slaves in 1857, and as someone mentionned here before, you could not simply disband slaves like that when you inherit a property.  Slaves are collateral to loans, that'd be like giving your car today while it stills guarantee a loan.

He opposed secession until Virginia seceded and the North threatened to invade.  He could have joined the movement anytime before that, but he just could not lead an army against Virginia.

As for integrity, that depends on how you define it.  Everyone has its own definition, it seems.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on August 23, 2017, 04:21:31 PM
This isn't to say that the monuments are "History," rather they're a reinterpretation of history where the south was a romantic "Lost Cause."  (Hollywood kept this myth alive until the 1940s.)
God and Generals was made way later than 1940  :hmm:
;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2017, 10:24:58 AM
This isn't to say that the monuments are "History," rather they're a reinterpretation of history where the south was a romantic "Lost Cause."  (Hollywood kept this myth alive until the 1940s.)
;)

Gods and Generals was not a Hollywood movie. :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2017, 10:36:30 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2017, 10:24:58 AM
;)

Gods and Generals was not a Hollywood movie. :hmm:
no? what is the required qualification then?
QuoteDistributed by    Warner Bros. Pictures
Country    United States

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2017, 12:48:12 PM
no? what is the required qualification then?
QuoteDistributed by    Warner Bros. Pictures
Country    United States

That it be made by a Hollywood studio.  Ted Turner Pictures wasn't a Hollywood studio (and, in fact, made far more for TV than for theaters).

QuoteGods and Generals (2003)
Company Credits

Production Companies
Turner Pictures (I) (as Ted Turner Pictures)
Antietam Filmworks
Esparza / Katz Productions (in association with)
Rehme Productions (in association with)
Mace Neufeld Productions (in association with)

You know, all that stud\ff you skipped past because it kinda made a mockery of your argument!  :lol:

WB being the distributor is neither here nor there.  WB distributes films from all over the world, to all over the world.  Not even you thought that "Distributed by" meant "Production company," because the production company was listed right there!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Definitely a worthwhile thing to argue about.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Saw this on my Facebook feed, and then I saw the President has retweeted this:

Once upon a time I was going in style
Now I'm only going in shock
There's nothing I can do
A total eclipse of Barack

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock