Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Call me crazy, but I  think a basic requirement for me to think that some person is "opposed to slavery", regardless of what they say, or write, is that they, I don't know....

DON'T OWN ANY FUCKING SLAVES.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

he opposed to so much he fought to defend it. moral giant that guy is. either he's a liar, or a hypocrite.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2017, 02:29:59 PM
I never got the 'Lee was an abolishionist' thing. Or how he was opposed to slavery and secession but participated in both yet was a man of great integrity.

Lee was released some slaves at in 1862 I think.  He was required to do so because of a will. 

Also, tip of that hat to Grumbler, it didn't occur to me, but he's right about the decorations.  I don't think there were any decorations awarded during Lee's time in the military.  They had "Mentioned in dispatches" instead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 23, 2017, 02:48:04 PM
Lee didn't own slaves.

so he was poor too. another strike against him in the republican mind.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Oexmelin

It was a great moral failing not to erect hundreds of monuments to the memory of those men full of integrity, who fought for the British during the War for Tax Evasion.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 23, 2017, 02:57:36 PM
It was a great moral failing not to erect hundreds of monuments to the memory of those men full of integrity, who fought for the British during the War for Tax Evasion.

It went better than the English War for Tax Evasion back in the 1640s
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

it'd feel more sympathy for "but it's history" if these monuments were put up right after the war rather than after the 1900 to intimidate black people.

The Brain

I wonder if the Japanese will let the statue of Saigo Takamori in Ueno Park remain. :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2017, 03:15:49 PM
it'd feel more sympathy for "but it's history" if these monuments were put up right after the war rather than after the 1900 to intimidate black people.

Hey, intimidating Black people is historical.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 23, 2017, 12:47:00 PM
D'Souza is right though. Lee considered himself a Virginian over an American and that's why he fought for the South.

That is one of the few things Dinesh got right.  I first saw him when he was giving a speech on C-SPAN in the 90s and quite liked it.  But everything I've heard and read from him since then has been too crap-laden to bother with.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2017, 03:38:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2017, 03:08:43 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 23, 2017, 02:48:04 PM
Lee didn't own slaves.

Yes he did. What is your source?

They were his wife's slaves.

The old "hold the valuable property in the wife's name" trick. Must have learned it from his tax accountant.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius