Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2017, 02:33:51 AM

Are you friends with Syt's extended family now?  :P

Nice to see how people value inanimate objects so much.

garbon

My family has its odd ones. Here perhaps a little unfair as my aunt (a naturalized American citizen from Mexico) has always been a slight bit off brain-wise since some seizures about 5 years ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2017, 04:35:03 AM
My family has its odd ones. Here perhaps a little unfair as my aunt (a naturalized American citizen from Mexico) has always been a slight bit off brain-wise since some seizures about 5 years ago.

I think non-native citizens have a tendency to overcompensate. Or ones that feel they have a heritage to compensate for. Like, almost all the loudest far-right leaders in Hungary have had obviously foreign last names (which is quite common in Hungary, but still it stands out when you are all about the thousands of years of magyar history of your ancestors)

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2017, 06:27:07 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2017, 04:35:03 AM

I think non-native citizens have a tendency to overcompensate. Or ones that feel they have a heritage to compensate for. Like, almost all the loudest far-right leaders in Hungary have had obviously foreign last names (which is quite common in Hungary, but still it stands out when you are all about the thousands of years of magyar history of your ancestors)

What's weird is that her husband (an American who married her when she was 15 and fresh from Mexico) has a lot of anti-Latino/immigrant views. And I'm like hmm, but many people in your family are Latino and many people in your wife's family were at one point in time illegal immigrants...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Let me guess: "that's different, I don't mean them, I mean the useless criminal ones"?

CountDeMoney

Valmy

I was really confused there for a minute since I think it has been proven the pyramids were not built by slaves...but then I remembered this is probably a Bible literalness thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

That makes no sense at all.  OH I GET IT POOR NIGGERS GET TO HAVE EVERYTHING

Liep

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2017, 08:10:16 AM

I get it. It's cheaper to buy bulk, so poor people need to plan their shopping more than those who can afford to shop what they like.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on July 03, 2017, 08:17:25 AM
I get it. It's cheaper to buy bulk, so poor people need to plan their shopping more than those who can afford to shop what they like.

Food assistance has been slashed so much, buying in bulk doesn't really work.  This month's meal is: noodles!

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on July 03, 2017, 08:17:25 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2017, 08:10:16 AM

No it isn't cheaper...I mean unless these people are at different stores.

Yi said we pretty much ended welfare in the 1990s. That being the case why are people still complaining about it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Liep

You don't do the buy 6 get one free kind of deals over there?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on July 03, 2017, 08:24:37 AM
You don't do the buy 6 get one free kind of deals over there?

Well I cannot speak for the rest of the country but not commonly no.