And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 01, 2017, 09:46:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2017, 09:39:41 AM
Who cares that Eddie Teach doesn't understand human decency?

What a tolerant bunch. A man makes a personal decision regarding whom he eats with and it's an affront to human decency.

Actaually, I went back and checked that original article and discovered that Pence's rule was not what I had thought it was.  He was just talking about himself, and he said this in 2002, so I withdraw my assertion that he was suggesting a general rule.  I have no problem with him having a private and personal rule about dining without his wife, so long as it doesn't amount to favoritism.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2017, 09:52:02 AM
Actaually, I went back and checked that original article and discovered that Pence's rule was not what I had thought it was.  He was just talking about himself, and he said this in 2002, so I withdraw my assertion that he was suggesting a general rule.  I have no problem with him having a private and personal rule about dining without his wife, so long as it doesn't amount to favoritism.

Women are nothing more than filthy cunty useless cumdumpsters that do nothing but make them look at their tits and toe cleavage, and therefore do not have the right to sit alone with the Governor of Indiana/Vice President of the United States to discuss policy.  You do, though.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 01, 2017, 10:01:18 AM

Women are nothing more than filthy cunty useless cumdumpsters that do nothing but make them look at their tits and toe cleavage, and therefore do not have the right to sit alone with the Governor of Indiana/Vice President of the United States to discuss policy.  You do, though.

Well, yeah, and if you wear a head scarf because that's what decent women do, then you do imply and indirectly declare that all headscarf-less women are indecent. Didn't see you being up in arms about that though.

garbon

In actual fairness, I'm not sure why a woman would want to sit with Pence.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2017, 10:08:52 AM

Well, yeah, and if you wear a head scarf because that's what decent women do, then you do imply and indirectly declare that all headscarf-less women are indecent. Didn't see you being up in arms about that though.

Oh you are now the expert on what people secretly and indirectly imply when they wear headscarves? Give me a break.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Whether she's wearing a headscarf or not doesn't stop her from doing her job. Keeping her out of the room because the boss can't be with her alone does.  You hateful little gypsy antisemite dirtfarmer.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 01, 2017, 09:46:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2017, 09:39:41 AM
Who cares that Eddie Teach doesn't understand human decency?

What a tolerant bunch. A man makes a personal decision regarding whom he eats with and it's an affront to human decency.

Tolerant of sexism? No, I'm not.

Just like I'd be up in arms if his personal policy was that he won't have dinner alone with a black person.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2017, 10:14:37 AM
Just like I'd be up in arms if his personal policy was that he won't have dinner alone with a black person.

Your plate's staying warm in the kitchen, g.  Thanks for stopping by.  You can read the meeting minutes tomorrow.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2017, 10:12:11 AM

Oh you are now the expert on what people secretly and indirectly imply when they wear headscarves? Give me a break.

I am exactly as much an expert on that, as you are on why Pence doesn't want to dine with women without his wife present.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2017, 10:34:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2017, 10:12:11 AM

I am exactly as much an expert on that, as you are on why Pence doesn't want to dine with women without his wife present.

I don't think there's really any hidden reason behind this:

QuoteIn 2002, Mike Pence told the Hill that he never eats alone with a woman other than his wife and that he won't attend events featuring alcohol without her by his side, either.

Whereas it is a bit harder to analyze the thoughts of a generic woman wearing headscarf.

By the by, would you be okay with a woman wearing a headscarf is she wore a sign stating that she wasn't judging women who don't wear a headscarf? ;)

viper37

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2017, 06:13:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2017, 02:06:59 AM
To be fair, if a Muslim guy would be called out for a similar policy, the left would be up in arms to defend his religious freedom to do so

:rolleyes:
he is right.  In some countries, discrimination by religious group other than christians are quite acceptable.  Forcing non muslim women to cover themselves before meeting a religious leader, having them enter from a seperate entrance, etc, etc.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

QuoteBill Clinton Calls Mike Pence's Strict Marital Practices 'Excessive'
March 31, 2017
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter 

U.S.—In a candid new interview, former President Bill Clinton commented Friday on the recent revelation that Vice President Mike Pence refuses to dine alone with women who are not his wife, saying the strict guidelines are "ridiculous" and "excessive."

Get the Bee delivered straight to your inbox.

"The only woman he'll spend time alone with is his wife? Come on, that's way over the top," Clinton said. "I think we powerful men should be able to get away with a little one-on-one time with a cute coworker without making a move. What are we, savages?"

"Can't you exercise a little self control, Mr. Vice President?" he challenged.

Voicing his disdain for the so-called "Billy Graham rule" employed by Pence, Clinton went on to say that he does adhere to the more realistic "Jimmy Swaggart rule," wherein he makes it a point to never tell his wife when he is going to be alone with other women.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Camerus

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2017, 07:44:11 AM
I say fuck him. Makes it seem like women are just brimming with sinful desires that would overpower him if he were alone with them.

I don't see it that way.  I see it more from the following 2 perspectives:

1. An admission that he is a fallible man attracted to women, some of whom may also be attracted to him, perhaps by virtue of his status and power. Better just to avoid temptation in the first place. Not a policy for everyone, of course, but as a policy for him personally, it's fine (if quaint).

2. An ass-covering policy designed to avoid any allegations of sexual impropriety, which could be devastating for a religious conservative politician.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Camerus on April 01, 2017, 12:07:23 PM
I say fuck him. Makes it seem like women are just brimming with sinful desires that would overpower him if he were alone with them.

1. An admission that he is a fallible man attracted to women, some of whom may also be attracted to him, perhaps by virtue of his status and power. Better just to avoid temptation in the first place. Not a policy for everyone, of course, but as a policy for him personally, it's fine (if quaint).

2. An ass-covering policy designed to avoid any allegations of sexual impropriety, which could be devastating for a religious conservative politician.

How do you see other perspectives like when he passed the most draconian anti-women's health agenda in the country when he was Governor of Indiana?

Camerus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 01, 2017, 12:10:45 PM
Quote from: Camerus on April 01, 2017, 12:07:23 PM

How do you see other perspectives like when he passed the most draconian anti-women's health agenda in the country when he was Governor of Indiana?

By not necessarily equating pro-life policies with misogyny.   ;)

Though I admit I'm not super familiar with his tenure as governor.