Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

http://www.americanow.com/story/politics/2017/03/21/county-sheriffs-controversial-sign-goes-viral-photo

QuoteCounty Sheriff's Controversial Sign Goes Viral (Photo)

A sheriff in rural Georgia put up a sign to greet motorists entering the county that has been sparking conversation both in the small town and online.

Harris County Sheriff Mike Jolley recently added a second part to the county's welcome sign, which lets people entering the community know exactly where they stand politically.

According to AWM, directly below Harris County's welcome sign is a smaller custom sign that reads, "Warning: Harris County is politically incorrect. We say: Merry Christmas, God Bless America and In God We Trust. We salute our troops and our flag. If this offends you... LEAVE!"

Jolley said that he decided to put up the sign because he felt that traditional values are being marginalized in today's society. He said that he had the idea after he saw a similar sign put up in another state.

"It's time for the silent majority to stand up for our beliefs and not be ashamed," Jolley said.

Some criticized the town for using public funds to pay for the sign, but Jolley says that he paid for the sign with his own money and that he plans to buy more to put up around the community.

Responding to critics who say that he is going too far in sharing his personal beliefs, the sheriff said, "I spent 20 years in the United States Army in defense of those people who want to say they don't support the sign. And I fought for that right to have the ability to say they don't support it."

Jolley said that he received many positive comments about the sign as well. He said that he hopes that the positive feedback may be a sign of a change to come.

"Maybe the silent majority isn't going to be silent anymore," he added.

Jolley's sign received a number of supportive comments after the story was shared online.

One Newsiosity reader commented, "This sheriff is absolutely right! Sir, thank you for your military service as well as your law enforcement service. God bless you."

"Love the sign! It's time for Americans everywhere to start standing up for what we believe in and if these people coming in don't like it go back where they came from," another user commented. "We are Americans with freedom of choice to live that life God blesses us with and we are not going to stand by and let these people that hate us come in and take out freedoms away from us.Thank you for your service to our country and your stand."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

"WHITES ONLY" would've just been cheaper.

Berkut

He is a very careful douchebag.

I can respect that - he is very careful to word his sign to likely meet the letter of the separation clause.

He manages to come across like a bigoted asshole by just saying that in his town, people say things that people say all over the place routinely without any need to put up signs saying they say those things...then telling people to leave if they don't like it.

I wonder who might leave because people say "Merry Christmas"?

I might leave because the local sheriff is kind of an asshole...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2017, 01:18:00 PM
I wonder who might leave because people say "Merry Christmas"?
The Grinch?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

That sign's been up since 2015.  He paid for it with his own money, but the SD's website has a link for "Politically Incorrect" t-shirts for sale.  Right next to the county jail directory menu.

He's been elected for six consecutive terms apparently.

Valmy

I was not aware that any of those things was politically incorrect. In fact I am pretty sure that each and every one of those things is considered politically correct. I mean can you get more politically incorrect than ever say something bad about the troops?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

If only crazy white people were a 'silent' majority.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2017, 01:37:36 PM
That sign's been up since 2015.  He paid for it with his own money, but the SD's website has a link for "Politically Incorrect" t-shirts for sale.  Right next to the county jail directory menu.

He's been elected for six consecutive terms apparently.

The usual turnover for Sheriff offices in his part of the state is pretty low--and usually due to death or retirement.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Is that supposed to be about anyone in particular?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2017, 08:33:31 AM
Is that supposed to be about anyone in particular?

My nephew's ex, presumably.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall