Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

"Rook" comes from a Persian word meaning chariot.  The queen was originally some kind of vizier.  The bishop was something completely different. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

In France the bishop is called le fou, the madman.

Syt

In German, the Bishop is Läufer, or runner. The Knight is Springer, or jumper. Rook is Turm, or tower. Pawn is Bauer, or peasant. Queen is Dame, or Lady.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2017, 12:39:18 PM
In German, the Bishop is Läufer, or runner. The Knight is Springer, or jumper. Rook is Turm, or tower. Pawn is Bauer, or peasant. Queen is Dame, or Lady.

I thought Tor was tower.

"Die kasserne tor.."

:unsure:

The Minsky Moment

Tor is more like "gate" IIRC.  Always confused me that the Eschenheimer Turm (tower) was on the Eschenheimer Tor (street and subway stop)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

That's because the Eschenheimer Turm is a Torturm, i.e. Gate Tower.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Yes, the Ford of the Franks used to be smaller back in the day. It needed facilities to process entrances and levy entrance taxes like other cities. Another turm in Bockhenheimer near the university.
"Portes" i.e gates stilll mark the limits of Paris intra-muros.

PS: Tor also means in goal in association football. ;)
Portier, doorman in French, is still used for goalkeeper

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2017, 12:42:32 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2017, 12:39:18 PM

I thought Tor was tower.

"Die kasserne tor.."

:unsure:

LG
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 23, 2017, 12:34:21 PM
"Rook" comes from a Persian word meaning chariot.  The queen was originally some kind of vizier.  The bishop was something completely different.

Bishop was an elephant.  Originally it was shaped like a Tusk, Europeans thought it was mitre.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Your president pretending to dive a truck like a toddler

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

You can just hear him doing the sound effects.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on March 23, 2017, 06:47:39 PM
You can just hear him doing the sound effects.

This is why Speiss voted for him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?