News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

She really ought to let them figure out masturbation on their own.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2017, 11:49:53 AM
Feminism is cancer.

You should also teach your kids about cancer. They need to learn to pass on both smoking and Mary Wollstonecraft.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Yep.  I've incorporated Susan Brownmiller into scary campfire stories I tell them.  And I think my "stinky" cigars have put the idea of smoking out of their minds.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zoupa

This feminism is shit trope seems to be Internet heavy. Has any of you actually met somebody in the real world out there that speaks and acts the way these tumblerinas do?

I sure never have. Just like the trigger, safe space BS the right seems to obsess about. Internet =/= real life.

derspiess

Yes.  I've run into it in craft beer, of all things.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 16, 2017, 12:30:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2017, 12:26:44 PM
Yes.  I've run into it in craft beer, of all things.

Tell me more.

Hmm, not sure where to begin.

The craft beer scene/movement/hobby/whatever has become wildly successful and has drawn in IMO a pretty diverse group of people.  This is an undeniably good thing.  I've been introduced to a lot of great people from other demographics that I might not have otherwise met. 

Beer is seen by many as having been a traditionally man thing-- from the brewing and packaging to serving and consumption.  But within the past 5 or so years there has been a fairly large influx of women into the craft beer world.  Which again is a good thing; the more the merrier, plus in my experience women tend to bring a civilizing effect on otherwise male-dominated taprooms. 

But sometimes I guess we can't all just relax and enjoy this good thing we have going.  More and more I am seeing criticism of the industry and "culture" related to craft beer.  And you're having political and social issues seep into what IMO should be an apolitical thing that brings us together rather than divide.

I'm aware of a feminist beer group and another quasi-feminist beer group here in Cincinnati, and they have raised a number of grievances.  Some have a grain of legitimacy and others are just plain silly:

-Some beer labels/names are crude and sexist and need to be done away with.  They represent an active barrier to women participating in craft beer, something something frat boys & patriarchy.  It's not enough just to not buy that beer.  Breweries need to be shamed into submission.

-Bartenders need to stop trying to suggest beers to women.  Just show them the tap list and let them decide.  Any input or suggestion from the bartender is to be regarded as mansplaining.  And don't you dare suggest a low ABV or fruit-infused beer.

-There aren't enough female brewers.  Won't say how many would be enough-- there just need to be more.  Almost no women are in packaging and distributing, but those jobs aren't any fun so nobody cares.

-Male bar patrons should never: ask a female bartender's name, compliment her on anything related to her appearance, or compliment her on her knowledge of beer.  This is not just related to beer, but bars in general.  Basically, just keep your mouth shut (but still tip generously).

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2017, 03:09:55 PM
The green there is the Green-White-Black in the flag of the non-ISIS Syrian opposition.

Green is a color of Islamic nationalists, of course, but when they are actually out there Jihading they use black. Or at least have for the past several decades.

Green is the color is Islam.  It represents paradise.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on February 16, 2017, 02:30:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2017, 03:09:55 PM
The green there is the Green-White-Black in the flag of the non-ISIS Syrian opposition.

Green is a color of Islamic nationalists, of course, but when they are actually out there Jihading they use black. Or at least have for the past several decades.

But ISIS does use a black flag.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2017, 01:47:04 PM
-Some beer labels/names are crude and sexist and need to be done away with.  They represent an active barrier to women participating in craft beer, something something frat boys & patriarchy.  It's not enough just to not buy that beer.  Breweries need to be shamed into submission.

-Bartenders need to stop trying to suggest beers to women.  Just show them the tap list and let them decide.  Any input or suggestion from the bartender is to be regarded as mansplaining.  And don't you dare suggest a low ABV or fruit-infused beer.

-There aren't enough female brewers.  Won't say how many would be enough-- there just need to be more.  Almost no women are in packaging and distributing, but those jobs aren't any fun so nobody cares.

-Male bar patrons should never: ask a female bartender's name, compliment her on anything related to her appearance, or compliment her on her knowledge of beer.  This is not just related to beer, but bars in general.  Basically, just keep your mouth shut (but still tip generously).

Ah yeah. That is pretty typical.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 16, 2017, 02:31:32 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 16, 2017, 02:30:27 PM

But ISIS does use a black flag.

That is correct.  They use Mohammed's battle standard as their flag (as have many before them). That does not contradict the fact the the "color" of Islam is green.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: derspiess on February 16, 2017, 12:02:29 PMAnd I think my "stinky" cigars have put the idea of smoking out of their minds.

You'd think so.  But somehow nothing from childhood -- whether it was growing up in a haze of unappealing secondhand smoke (especially cigar smoke), having a grandfather die from lung cancer (and take off the oxygen to smoke on his deathbed), thoroughly buying into the antismoking lessons at school -- dissuaded me from jumping on the cigarette bandwagon by the time I was 15/16.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

LaCroix

Quote from: Zoupa on February 16, 2017, 12:21:47 PM
This feminism is shit trope seems to be Internet heavy. Has any of you actually met somebody in the real world out there that speaks and acts the way these tumblerinas do?

I sure never have. Just like the trigger, safe space BS the right seems to obsess about. Internet =/= real life.

yes

(edit) today one posted on fb a pic of her women's march with the comment "silence is consent"

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on February 16, 2017, 12:21:47 PM
Check out Mathieu Bock Côté columns of this week, I think it's on Monday, there's a link to a investigation on the subject made by ICI Radio-Canada at UQAM.  Of course, it's the worst university in the province, barely registering as university, but still, that is telling.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.