News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2017, 01:32:06 PM

What's with all the hangups on "missing work" on the fucking weekends already? :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2017, 01:32:06 PM

If your sister wants to do more about the homeless, by all means, lets get some laws going.  I propose making it easier to get Medicaid for the mentally ill.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2017, 03:22:03 PM

Considering the #1 threat to American children remain their parents, your family members really need to stop, Syt.  Or at least remind them.  Or at least get their kids some clear heels already.

Razgovory

Hey, at least she's taking interest in the less fortunate.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2017, 03:19:00 PM
It's since been superseded by a 1965 act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_Nationality_Act_of_1965

I couldn't see anything in this article that suggests the prez no longer has the power 8 US 1182.

Razgovory

LaCroix

8 U.S.C. § 1182 is a statute that's a part of the immigration and nationality act. (8 USC § 1152 is also part of that act). section 1182(f) is what obama, bush, etc. used to justify legally similar executive orders

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2017, 04:52:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2017, 04:36:08 PM
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1152

Same.

Except as specifically provided in paragraph (2) and in sections 1101(a)(27), 1151(b)(2)(A)(i), and 1153 of this title, no person shall receive any preference or priority or be discriminated against in the issuance of an immigrant visa because of the person's race, sex, nationality, place of birth, or place of residence.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2017, 03:22:03 PM

Well I cannot wait to hear the aggressive anti-homeless program they want to unveil.

Anyway we have nothing but space. We could put millions of refugees in West Texas before anybody would even notice. Though I have been told settling up Refugees in un-populated areas of your country is inhumane somehow. I guess letting them stay in wartorn regions in camps is better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

raz, those statutes don't apply to the president exercising his powers under § 1182(f)

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2017, 03:21:00 PM
What's with all the hangups on "missing work" on the fucking weekends already? :lol:

The internet has achieved something remarkable. It has made me really hate the sight of Kermit the Frog. Thanks internet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2017, 06:48:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2017, 04:52:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 30, 2017, 04:36:08 PM
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1152

Same.

Except as specifically provided in paragraph (2) and in sections 1101(a)(27), 1151(b)(2)(A)(i), and 1153 of this title, no person shall receive any preference or priority or be discriminated against in the issuance of an immigrant visa because of the person’s race, sex, nationality, place of birth, or place of residence.

You're linking to and quoting a section of code that deals with per country quotas on immigration.  Trump's EO has nothing to do with those; as best as I can tell (though God knows what any given Federal court might rule) what you're talking about has no bearing on what Syt brought to our attention.  It appears that the President does actually have the legal authority to do what Trump's EO does.  Color me surprised.