News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 01:12:02 PMWhat somebody thinks deep in their heart is not a fact. What somebody does and says is.

intent is not a fact?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 01:08:50 PM
Shia LeBeouf will always unite us in agreeing he is a shitty actor who always portrayed douchebag characters.

He was very sympathetic in The Greatest Game Ever Played. Upstaged by his 10 year old caddie though.

Dakota, I agree that your guy may not be a Nazi qua Nazi, but anyone who buys into that meme crap is still a pathetic sociopath.

LaCroix

sure, why not. I'm not defending the meme stuff, and I never was

LaCroix

my work here is done  :)

I hope you've seen the light, garbo

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 01:12:02 PMWhat somebody thinks deep in their heart is not a fact. What somebody does and says is.

intent is not a fact?

No.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 01:19:47 PM

intent is not a fact?

No.

I wouldn't say it's not a fact.  If you honestly intend something, that's a fact.  But it's not verifiable--no one else can know for sure. 

Barrister

Quote from: dps on January 26, 2017, 03:00:54 PM

intent is not a fact?

No.

I wouldn't say it's not a fact.  If you honestly intend something, that's a fact.  But it's not verifiable--no one else can know for sure.

Well sometimes you can know for sure.  That's what the entire distinction between murder and manslaughter is based on, for example.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2017, 03:01:51 PM
Well sometimes you can know for sure.  That's what the entire distinction between murder and manslaughter is based on, for example.

Yes but that intent itself is not a fact. It is something that can be proven through facts though. That and testimony.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2017, 03:01:51 PM
Quote from: dps on January 26, 2017, 03:00:54 PM

intent is not a fact?

No.

But not in this context, though.  If a random person you don't know says something offensive, there's no objective way to know if he said if because he actually thinks it, if he doesn't actually believe it but was deliberately trying to provoke you, or if he doesn't really believe it but thought it would get a laugh.

LaCroix

it's not a different context. intent is either a fact or it's not.

that something is difficult to prove doesn't make it a non-fact. valmy intends to support his child and wife. that is a fact because he actually does intend to do so. a fact can be intangible

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on January 26, 2017, 11:53:10 AM
LaCroix, time traveler from the past?

Next, he'll claim to be a lawyer or a doctor.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix