News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

a joke. absurdist humor maybe? places like 4chan developed a culture over the years of saying random shit but not actually being serious about it. imagine it was "the earth is flat" rather than "hitler did nothing wrong." a person using the expression, "the earth is flat" doesn't literally mean the earth is flat -- it's a meme. (edit) this isn't even the best analogy because "the earth is flat" is an actual phrase. I don't think "hitler did nothing wrong" is even an actual phrase used by nazis. the idea behind it, sure, but not a repeatable phrase that nazis go around shouting.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 12:08:36 PMSort of like trying to have a conversation with you.

I wasn't intending to insult anyone. I'm sure I wouldn't truly get really obscure cultural things that existed 20 years ago.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 26, 2017, 12:20:00 PM
On second thought the ChiComs have the right idea.  Ban the internet before it's too late.

We may have discovered the Great Filter, why no intelligent life survives long enough to colonize the Universe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 12:36:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 12:08:36 PMSort of like trying to have a conversation with you.

I wasn't intending to insult anyone. I'm sure I wouldn't truly get really obscure cultural things that existed 20 years ago.

I think we all understand the idea behind internet memes and how people say things they shouldn't say in public behind the screen of the internet.

But once you leave the internet things are different. If you are going around saying nazi things I don't give a damn what is deep inside your heart. It could not be more irrelevant. You are what your actions say you are. Like I don't think Shia gets a pass because punch memes exist in his internet community.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The earth is flat is a metaphor, not a meme.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 12:35:25 PM
a joke. absurdist humor maybe? places like 4chan developed a culture over the years of saying random shit but not actually being serious about it. imagine it was "the earth is flat" rather than "hitler did nothing wrong." a person using the expression, "the earth is flat" doesn't literally mean the earth is flat -- it's a meme. (edit) this isn't even the best analogy because "the earth is flat" is an actual phrase. I don't think "hitler did nothing wrong" is even an actual phrase used by nazis. the idea behind it, sure, but not a repeatable phrase that nazis go around shouting.

I think I get it.  You say something outrageous which you don't believe to be true as a kind of in-joke, to demonstrate that you're one of the ins who "gets it." For example I could say "LaCroix's mom deserves to be gang raped" to demonstrate my belonging to the group.  Then if I showed up at a LaCroix family gathering and repeated it my clever meme, you would criticize those who took offense because "it's just a meme."

dps

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 12:35:25 PM

The thing is, there are actually people who still believe that the Earth is flat, and those that believe that Hitler didn't do anything wrong (except, perhaps, lose the war).  If you go around saying those things, people are going to assume that you're either a fool or a Nazi or a jackass that's just trying to provoke someone (not that there isn't a lot of overlap there). 

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 12:44:28 PMI think we all understand the idea behind internet memes and how people say things they shouldn't say in public behind the screen of the internet.

But once you leave the internet things are different. If you are going around saying nazi things I don't give a damn what is deep inside your heart. It could not be more irrelevant. You are what your actions say you are. Like I don't think Shia gets a pass because punch memes exist in his internet community.

so, if there was a comedian who used a specific type of humor you didn't understand but instead took at face value, you'd also lash out? as you said, intent is irrelevant. what the person actually intends is irrelevant to what he does. that's ridiculous, and I think if it was almost anything else you'd see it was ridiculous.

a person who punches someone is someone who punched someone. a person who says "hitler did nothing wrong" isn't just a person who said "hitler did nothing wrong," but he's now also a nazi?

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2017, 12:57:28 PMI think I get it.  You say something outrageous which you don't believe to be true as a kind of in-joke, to demonstrate that you're one of the ins who "gets it." For example I could say "LaCroix's mom deserves to be gang raped" to demonstrate my belonging to the group.  Then if I showed up at a LaCroix family gathering and repeated it my clever meme, you would criticize those who took offense because "it's just a meme."

no. I would criticize if a member of the crowd, once the joke was explained to him, still believed you literally thought my mom deserved to be gang raped.

LaCroix

Quote from: dps on January 26, 2017, 12:57:43 PMThe thing is, there are actually people who still believe that the Earth is flat, and those that believe that Hitler didn't do anything wrong (except, perhaps, lose the war).  If you go around saying those things, people are going to assume that you're either a fool or a Nazi or a jackass that's just trying to provoke someone (not that there isn't a lot of overlap there).

exactly, and that's the person's fault for being dumb enough to say it. but that doesn't make it actually true.

derspiess

I just saw the Shia LaBeouf video :lol:

he will not divide us...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 26, 2017, 01:07:23 PM
I just saw the Shia LaBeouf video :lol:

he will not divide us...

Shia LeBeouf will always unite us in agreeing he is a shitty actor who always portrayed douchebag characters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 01:05:51 PM
exactly, and that's the person's fault for being dumb enough to say it. but that doesn't make it actually true.

Who cares what is actually true? Without some kind of soul reading machine it is impossible to know what somebody truly thinks so it makes no difference. People are judged by their actions for a reason. It is called personal responsibility.

If you go around saying that you think Hitler did nothing wrong in public than people think you are the kind of person who says something like that.

LaCroix

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 01:10:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 01:09:53 PMWho cares what is actually true?

you're right, alternative facts, etc.

What somebody thinks deep in their heart is not a fact. What somebody does and says is.