Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 11:50:53 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 11:47:54 AMIndeed. I guess you live for hilarious statements like 'Mao was just misunderstood'

I will give you a few seconds so you can recover from your bouts of uncontrollable laughter.

I never said I thought it was funny... I was explaining it to people who don't understand this culture and just attack it out of ignorance. it's dumb and silly, but it's not nazism

Ok but this was not said on the internet. If you take internet stuff off the internet, internet culture does not apply.

And do you know this dude? All we know is he said some pro-nazi shit. But now you 100% know what he is thinking because you are some expert on internet culture.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 11:50:53 AM
I never said I thought it was funny... I was explaining it to people who don't understand this culture and just attack it out of ignorance. it's dumb and silly, but it's not nazism

Neither of us have access into the soul of the anonymous dude that trolled Shia LeBeouf so we can't really say for sure.  The more important point is that if the nazi-talking not-nazis are practically indistinguishable from the nazi-talking nazis in terms of what they do and say, does that distinction really matter?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 26, 2017, 11:53:48 AMOk but this was not said on the internet. If you take internet stuff off the internet, internet culture does not apply.

And do you know this dude? All we know is he said some pro-nazi shit. But now you 100% know what he is thinking because you are some expert on internet culture.

people bring memes into the real world all the time. it's cringey as hell, but it happens.

no, all we know is he said meme shit. I don't know the history behind "hitler did nothing wrong." I don't know whether that was even a phrase before memers started saying it. but it has been so obviously adopted and transformed by the internet community that when a young guy says a meme phrase it's pretty damn likely he was using it as intended on the internet.

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2017, 11:45:56 AM
Quote from: dps on January 26, 2017, 11:16:02 AM
The question LaCroix asked wasn't whether or not the guy was really a Nazi;  it was whether or not Garbon thinks the guy was really a Nazi. 

And I don't think he's worth my time replying to.

Probably the best way to look at it.

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 26, 2017, 11:57:13 AMNeither of us have access into the soul of the anonymous dude that trolled Shia LeBeouf so we can't really say for sure.  The more important point is that if the nazi-talking not-nazis are practically indistinguishable from the nazi-talking nazis in terms of what they do and say, does that distinction really matter?

I think it does matter when you start labeling everyone a nazi just because they said "hitler did nothing wrong."  :huh:

LaCroix

man, with some of the meme culture stuff, it's like watching an alien species try to understand eccentric human activities

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 12:00:02 PM
people bring memes into the real world all the time. it's cringey as hell, but it happens.

Well maybe they shouldn't do that. They might be held accountable for their speech and actions outside of the anonymity of the internet.

Say what you mean and mean what you say. It is called integrity and it is called living in the real world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 12:06:45 PM
man, with some of the meme culture stuff, it's like watching an alien species try to understand eccentric human activities

Sort of like trying to have a conversation with you.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 12:05:50 PM
I think it does matter when you start labeling everyone a nazi just because they said "hitler did nothing wrong."  :huh:

People who appear and public and say hitler did nothing wrong assume the risk of being labelled a nazi.
If you don't want the label try a different meme.  Cat pictures, say.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

On second thought the ChiComs have the right idea.  Ban the internet before it's too late.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 26, 2017, 12:10:33 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 12:05:50 PM

People who appear and public and say hitler did nothing wrong assume the risk of being labelled a nazi.
If you don't want the label try a different meme.  Cat pictures, say.

naturally, but that doesn't mean the person is actually a nazi.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 26, 2017, 12:00:02 PM

no, all we know is he said meme shit. I don't know the history behind "hitler did nothing wrong." I don't know whether that was even a phrase before memers started saying it. but it has been so obviously adopted and transformed by the internet community that when a young guy says a meme phrase it's pretty damn likely he was using it as intended on the internet.

How is it intended to be used on the internet?