Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2017, 03:24:17 PM
I don't have any moral objections to punching Nazis.  Nor to punching Commies, I guess.  Sucker punching and running away is a little cowardly, though.

No shit.  Much more effective to stay there and keep punching.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on January 23, 2017, 03:39:56 PM
I knew I could count on you guys :hug:

This addresses your points: http://thoughtsonthedead.com/on-the-propriety-of-punching-nazis-an-faq/

I see your link, and raise you with:

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/we-asked-an-ethicist-if-its-ok-to-punch-nazis-in-the-face

The short answer:

QuoteVICE: So—punching Richard Spencer in the face, OK or not OK?
Randy Cohen: No. You don't get to punch people in the face, even if their ideas are odious. You don't. We want a civil society, where ideas are met with other ideas. We don't want a society that encourages thuggish behavior, where if someone has politics different from yours, you get to beat them up. Aside from it just being morally wrong in itself to assault people, there's the practical consideration that in a society where ideas are met with fists, one is as likely to be the punched as the puncher, and it's no fun to be punched in the face.

Although it's probably okay to be silently amused when Richard Spencer gets punched in the face. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

CountDeMoney

Why bother asking an ethicist, when there are plenty of kindergarten teachers around.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2017, 04:22:24 PM
Although it's probably okay to be silently amused when Richard Spencer gets punched in the face. :)

Spencer does run a magazine that asks questions such as "is the human race better off without Black people" and "if so, what is the best way to get rid of them?"

If that's enough for you to throw out your ethics and be silently amused, that's between you and your god (and, potentially, your ethicist).

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 23, 2017, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 23, 2017, 03:28:08 PM
Live to fight commit assault another day :)

FTFY  :)

I must admit that i find it fascinating that so many can celebrate in people they share opinions with the very thing they bemoan in people with different opinions.

Smashing people in the face because you disagree with them is every bit as much a fascist move when done by leftists as when done by rightists.

It's not that fascinating.  Most Americans are perfectly fine with dropping bombs on ISIS.  Because they aren't so keen on ISIS dropping bombs on us doesn't make them hypocrites.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on January 23, 2017, 03:28:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2017, 03:24:17 PM
I don't have any moral objections to punching Nazis.  Nor to punching Commies, I guess.  Sucker punching and running away is a little cowardly, though.

Live to fight another day :)

As for punching Commies, I thought your kind went in for shooting them?

Thrown out of helicopters.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I'm starting to think there's somewhat of a Pavlov reflex for some connecting Hillary and Benghazi.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 23, 2017, 04:35:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2017, 04:22:24 PM

Spencer does run a magazine that asks questions such as "is the human race better off without Black people" and "if so, what is the best way to get rid of them?"

If that's enough for you to throw out your ethics and be silently amused, that's between you and your god (and, potentially, your ethicist).

LaBeouf is now at it.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/26/shia-labeouf-arrested-anti-trump-art-installation-he-will-not-divide-us-new-york

QuoteShia LaBeouf arrested at anti-Trump art installation in New York

Actor taken away by police following altercation at the site of his He Will Not Divide Us art installation, which is planned to run for Trump's first term

Shia LaBeouf has been arrested at the site of his permanent protest against new President Donald Trump. The actor, 30, was handcuffed by police on Wednesday evening, reportedly after a disagreement which involved LaBeouf assaulting a man with divergent political opinions.

The exact circumstances remain hazy. On a fan Twitter feed for #HeWillNotDivideUs, the name of LaBeouf's art installation protest, where the arrest took place, a 13 second video shows the actor briefly shoving a man who addresses the camera with the words "Hitler did nothing wrong".

"Hey," says the man. "Why did he attack me?" Later tweets from the same account expand the report by saying: "Shia was attacked by a Nazi. Shia got arrested. Nazi got away." This echoes a later video of fellow protesters who say: "Shia took a hit for us. There were all these Nazis here, he came out and tried to protect us."

The site TMZ claims that LaBeouf scratched the man and grabbed his scarf.

Law enforcement officials from the NYPD have been posted at the site since Monday. "He will not divide us" was co-created by LaBeouf, along with Nastja Säde Rönkkö and Luke Turner, and aims to run for the next four years – or as long as Trump is in office.

It involves a camera mounted on a wall outside the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, New York. Passers by are invited to stand for as long as they wish in front of it repeating the phrase. The results are live-streamed.

On Sunday LaBeouf shouted down another protester by repeatedly yelling "He will not divide us" into his face.

I did like there was a commenter on the article who called out the bit in bold for being an interesting choice of phrasing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

garbon, do you really think that was a nazi?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.