Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2017, 04:12:47 PM
The "damage" you mention is, as far as I'm aware, removing less than a pro rata share of funding.  The only way that constitutes damage is if you acknowledge a de facto subsidy previously occuring, from the kids who have left to the ones who stay behind (no pun intended yuck yuck).

Public school systems have fixed costs so an easy way of knocking a system down is to drain out people at the margin.  That's what happened in Detroit.
The "anything goes" program deVos backed in Michigan accelerated the process. Most of the charter operators are limited liability companies- they can form and compete for enrollment, and just fold up business if things don't go so well and then try again in another location or with a different marketing hook.  The result has been revolving doors where students jump from school to school.  Public schools aren't institutionally equipped to play this game against private LLCs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2017, 04:12:47 PM
The "damage" you mention is, as far as I'm aware, removing less than a pro rata share of funding.  The only way that constitutes damage is if you acknowledge a de facto subsidy previously occuring, from the kids who have left to the ones who stay behind (no pun intended yuck yuck).

I don't think there's ever been a doubt that people without kids in public schools subsidize those who do have such kids.  The only way spending fire department money on subsidizing the purchase of burgler/fire alarm systems is if you acknowledge that property owners have previously subsidized the fire department's protection for tenants.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 19, 2017, 04:31:41 PM
Public school systems have fixed costs so an easy way of knocking a system down is to drain out people at the margin.  That's what happened in Detroit.
The "anything goes" program deVos backed in Michigan accelerated the process. Most of the charter operators are limited liability companies- they can form and compete for enrollment, and just fold up business if things don't go so well and then try again in another location or with a different marketing hook.  The result has been revolving doors where students jump from school to school.  Public schools aren't institutionally equipped to play this game against private LLCs.

This whole "just fold up business if things don't go so well" thing doesn't sound conducive to good educational outcomes for the students involved.

Seems to me that using the free market model is great for optimizing profit generation for private investors, but not necessarily ideal for optimizing other outcomes. Personally, I'm not convinced that optimizing profit generation for private investors should be the main objective of a national education system.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 19, 2017, 04:31:41 PM

I thought people just left Detroit.

Schools consolidate all the time in rural areas with shrinking populations.  Are those systems also "knocked down?"

Syt

John Oliver had a piece about charter schools a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_htSPGAY7I

Any Americans can say how accurate it is?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on January 19, 2017, 04:57:26 PM
John Oliver had a piece about charter schools a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_htSPGAY7I

Any Americans can say how accurate it is?

Substitute "public" for "charter" and do research designed to prove the same points about public schools, and the episode would be identical.  There are, indeed, bad schools out there.  Charter and parochial schools are more ephemeral because they cannot operate at a loss for long, but they certainly are not, on average, significantly worse than public schools.  Whether they are significantly better is unclear.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2017, 04:56:31 PM
I thought people just left Detroit.

Schools consolidate all the time in rural areas with shrinking populations.  Are those systems also "knocked down?"

That's part of the problem but public school enrollment has gone down much faster.  The charters have picked off lots of students.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

wouldn't the schools in the more affluent areas be affected most by charter schools, and couldn't those schools handle the losses? middle class schools might lose some funding, but "knocked down" seems ehh without evidence

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

#Jump4Trump makes more sense and sounds better.

Bayraktar!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Does your family ever post anything that is NOT a giant strawman?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2017, 10:12:42 AM
Does your family ever post anything that is NOT a giant strawman?

Well, my gay nephews rarely post anything political, though one of them considers participating in the San Diego Women's March tomorrow.

Only my two oldest sisters, their husbands, and my niece's Army Sgt. husband are regularly posting political stuff, really.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017