News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

CountDeMoney

QuoteConnecticut Sen. Chris Murphy, who represents Sandy Hook, the site of the 2012 school shooting, asked DeVos if she believes guns have "any place in and around schools."

"I think that is best left to locales and states to decide," she said.

After Murphy pushed DeVos about why she can't say definitively whether they belong, DeVos brought up a story Sen. Mike Enzi told earlier about a school in Wyoming that has fences around it to protect against grizzly bears.

"I will refer back to Sen. Enzi and the school he is talking about in Wyoming. I think probably there, I would imagine there is probably a gun in a school to protect from potential grizzlies," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/17/politics/betsy-devos-grizzly-bears-donald-trump-guns/

frunk

Quote from: Phillip V on January 18, 2017, 10:35:10 PM
Real quote?  (Betsy, not the bear)

I believe that's not exactly what she said.  She did mention that there was a school in Wyoming that had a fence and guns because of grizzly bears.  The response came up when queried on why schools should have guns.  I don't think she meant everybody needs guns because of grizzlies, but then I don't really have a clue why she brought it up.

CountDeMoney

Because only in school could a grizzly reach its potential.  Because they're not grizzlies until then.

11B4V

Quote from: frunk on January 18, 2017, 10:41:03 PM

I believe that's not exactly what she said.  She did mention that there was a school in Wyoming that had a fence and guns because of grizzly bears.  The response came up when queried on why schools should have guns.  I don't think she meant everybody needs guns because of grizzlies, but then I don't really have a clue why she brought it up.

My 11yo could have articulated that answer better. Fucking mind numbing.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 18, 2017, 10:57:43 PM

That's your new Secretary of Education.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2017, 11:00:22 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 18, 2017, 10:57:43 PM

That's your new Secretary of Education.

Franken crushed her.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

:yeahright: I don't think it's reasonable to expect the bear to be objective here.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 18, 2017, 11:07:55 PM
Franken crushed her.

QuoteDuring the 2014 and 2016 election cycles, DeVos and her relatives gave at least $818,000 to 20 current Republican senators, including more than $250,000 to five members of the Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP), according to a Washington Post analysis of Federal Election Commission records.

DeVos personally made a relatively small percentage of those donations: at least $31,400 to committee members and $96,000 to all senators. But her giving appears to have been coordinated with her family: In most cases, senators received donations from more than a half-dozen DeVos family members, including her husband, his parents and his siblings, on the same day.

She is a completely unprepared and incompetent ideologue who has spent her entire adult life and millions of dollars with the sole purpose of eliminating public education.  She will be confirmed.

grumbler

I must admit that I have to laugh at the idea that Trump really thought DeVos was the best choice for Secretary of Education.  He wanted to drain the swamp by inviting in the alligators?

The reason I can laugh at this is that there probably isn't a cabinet secretary more useless and powerless than Education.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 18, 2017, 05:09:07 PM

I tend to agree with this. I'd like to believe that even with giant morons in charge of Education and HUD, the civil service will still be there to make sure things actually run somewhat competently, despite the lack of real leadership.

But it is lost time and money that could have been spent actually making American schools and low-income housing, you know, better.  Make better picks you fucking rube.

While that is probably to a certain degree true, during the election I did have the thought: "well, even if trump were to win, he will probably pick the standard republican cabinet secretaries and advisors, who may be able to keep him from getting too far off the rails."

Now he seems to not be doing that. Can we be certain the goofballs he is appointing will put in place reasonable leadership teams, and not really mess up at least the higher levels of the civil service?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on January 19, 2017, 07:16:31 AM
I must admit that I have to laugh at the idea that Trump really thought DeVos was the best choice for Secretary of Education.  He wanted to drain the swamp by inviting in the alligators?

The reason I can laugh at this is that there probably isn't a cabinet secretary more useless and powerless than Education.

That's because you teach at a hoity-toity private school. But handicapped students and negroes that wouldn't otherwise be allowed to go to school in some states like yours appreciate the Dept of Ed's enforcement of federal civil rights in ensuring legal access to public education for all.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 19, 2017, 07:25:31 AM
While that is probably to a certain degree true, during the election I did have the thought: "well, even if trump were to win, he will probably pick the standard republican cabinet secretaries and advisors, who may be able to keep him from getting too far off the rails."

Why the fuck would you think that?  What is with you fucking people?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.