News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 18, 2017, 02:51:41 PM
depends. a person with type 2 can violate his own self-described moral ethics and moral compass through rationalization. he can lie, have affairs, etc., by justifying his actions and behaviors.

and, I checked again, and it's not "type 2 narcissism," it's narcissism traits. "narcissism" can be (1) narcissistic features, (2) narcissistic traits, or (3) full-blown narcissistic personality disorder. that's what I meant by type 2, the second one. it can involve an egocentric focus -- taking one's own opinion and belief system and using it as his norm instead of potentially listening to the advice/recommendations of others.

full-blown NPD means the narcissism causes pervasive and significant disruptions in one's life. given trump's successful business relationships and his ability to successfully navigate through social situations, among other things, I doubt he's full-blown NPD.

So nothing at all to do with what you originally said. :mellow:

LaCroix

doctors, etc., can be diagnosed as having narcissism traits. does that tie it up, or was there something else?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on January 18, 2017, 02:35:55 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 18, 2017, 11:41:07 AM
one can be narcissistic yet try to do good for others. iirc, it's type 2 narcissism.

Is there any evidence that Trump has ever exhibited that kind of narcissism, as opposed to the grossly self-serving one?

they are both grossly self-serving.  One type (the trump type) is delusionally sure they have no flaws; the other type (what I'll call the languish narcissist type) is secretly crippled by self-doubt.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2017, 03:04:27 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 18, 2017, 02:51:41 PM
depends. a person with type 2 can violate his own self-described moral ethics and moral compass through rationalization. he can lie, have affairs, etc., by justifying his actions and behaviors.

and, I checked again, and it's not "type 2 narcissism," it's narcissism traits. "narcissism" can be (1) narcissistic features, (2) narcissistic traits, or (3) full-blown narcissistic personality disorder. that's what I meant by type 2, the second one. it can involve an egocentric focus -- taking one's own opinion and belief system and using it as his norm instead of potentially listening to the advice/recommendations of others.

full-blown NPD means the narcissism causes pervasive and significant disruptions in one's life. given trump's successful business relationships and his ability to successfully navigate through social situations, among other things, I doubt he's full-blown NPD.

So nothing at all to do with what you originally said. :mellow:

Like I said, he's making up this rationalization as he goes along.  When challenged, he changes tack to some other argument.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 18, 2017, 03:11:59 PM
doctors, etc., can be diagnosed as having narcissism traits. does that tie it up, or was there something else?

No idea what this means.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 18, 2017, 03:31:03 PMNo idea what this means.

does that answer your concern expressed here
QuoteSo nothing at all to do with what you originally said.

I assumed you meant my post here

Quoteone can be narcissistic yet try to do good for others. iirc, it's type 2 narcissism.

that after explaining the different types of narcissism, I didn't actually explain that "one can be narcissistic yet try to do good for others." I asked whether my response satisfies your concern.

Quote from: grumblerLike I said, he's making up this rationalization as he goes along.  When challenged, he changes tack to some other argument.

what? after I mentioned trump's narcissism, oex posted, "Yeah, but true to Trump's personality. Hope and Change for himself." I took this to mean he was saying trump is narcissistic, so the hope and change is self-serving. I responded to this by saying narcissists can act selflessly. and then you jumped in saying I'm was making shit up along the way. I still have no idea what you mean by this..

Admiral Yi

Dakota, you start off saying maybe Donnie is the Mother Theresa kind of narcissist, then come up with a list of narcissism types that has nothing to do with altruism.

LaCroix

what I posted doesn't prohibit acts of altruism. if it helps clear the confusion, people diagnosed with having narcissistic traits can still feel empathetic toward others. they can act with good intentions to help others. they can live by a moral code (but they can also violate this code if they justify it). trump can want to be a good president and help all americans, and he can do things that screw over certain americans by justifying it in whatever way. he can do this while having narcissistic traits.

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on January 18, 2017, 03:38:41 PM
what? after I mentioned trump's narcissism, oex posted, "Yeah, but true to Trump's personality. Hope and Change for himself." I took this to mean he was saying trump is narcissistic, so the hope and change is self-serving. I responded to this by saying narcissists can act selflessly. and then you jumped in saying I'm was making shit up along the way. I still have no idea what you mean by this..

I'm saying that you are making up shit about narcissism, hoping that no one will notice how you are using red herrings to rationalize trump's behavior, and then changing tack when your first bogus diagnosis is exposed as bogus.  Trump is a classic narcissist.  There isn't some secret type of classic narcissist that would actually make a great president.  Some narcissism is present in many presidents, but Trump is the first pathological narcissist to see the Oval office.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 18, 2017, 03:50:23 PM
what I posted doesn't prohibit acts of altruism. if it helps clear the confusion, people diagnosed with having narcissistic traits can still feel empathetic toward others. they can act with good intentions to help others. they can live by a moral code (but they can also violate this code if they justify it). trump can want to be a good president and help all americans, and he can do things that screw over certain americans by justifying it in whatever way. he can do this while having narcissistic traits.

OK, got it.  What you've been trying to say all along is "since we don't know why type of narcissist he is, we can't conclude from just his narcissism that he will be an utter douchebag."

Zoupa

Every action he's taken so far during the transition period is bad for your country. There's no way to sugar coat it or interpret it differently. Maybe Mattis might be ok. The rest of his picks, if they really implement what they've said in the past, and according to the confirmation hearings, are going to be really, really bad.

Lacroix, have you seen DeVos' hearing? It was sad, but mostly for the vast majority of middle class and poor folks that send their kids to public school. She had absolutely no idea what IDEA was for example. Not even a vague notion. She didn't know what it was. You're sabotaging your future. Maybe that's the GOP's point, I dunno.

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on January 18, 2017, 03:53:22 PMI'm saying that you are making up shit about narcissism, hoping that no one will notice how you are using red herrings to rationalize trump's behavior, and then changing tack when your first bogus diagnosis is exposed as bogus.  Trump is a classic narcissist.  There isn't some secret type of classic narcissist that would actually make a great president.  Some narcissism is present in many presidents, but Trump is the first pathological narcissist to see the Oval office.

I took everything I've said about narcissism from a psychologist. I don't make shit up on internet forums, and I don't see why anyone would. to do so would be pretty weird AF (edit - except for entertainment value like pure shitposting on image boards.)

Quote from: Admiral YiWhat you've been trying to say all along is "since we don't know why type of narcissist he is, we can't conclude from just his narcissism that he will be an utter douchebag."

basically -- we don't know with certainty, though I think trump's narcissism would probably fall under narcissistic traits. I doubt he's full-blown NPD for the reason explained in my earlier post.

Valmy

Fortunately her ability to cancel Public Education is somewhat limited by how education is funded and controlled.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on January 18, 2017, 04:07:40 PM
basically -- we don't know with certainty, though I think trump's narcissism would probably fall under narcissistic traits. I doubt he's full-blown NPD for the reason explained in my earlier post.

We don't know with certainty using only the predicate of clincal narcissism.  Using other information we can quite easily determine that he has always been and always will be a douchebag.

LaCroix

Quote from: Zoupa on January 18, 2017, 03:59:08 PM
Every action he's taken so far during the transition period is bad for your country. There's no way to sugar coat it or interpret it differently. Maybe Mattis might be ok. The rest of his picks, if they really implement what they've said in the past, and according to the confirmation hearings, are going to be really, really bad.

Lacroix, have you seen DeVos' hearing? It was sad, but mostly for the vast majority of middle class and poor folks that send their kids to public school. She had absolutely no idea what IDEA was for example. Not even a vague notion. She didn't know what it was. You're sabotaging your future. Maybe that's the GOP's point, I dunno.

he's asked the republican legislature to quickly replace obamacare if they repeal it. imo, that's not bad for the country. he also asked his supporters to stop being violent toward minorities. etc.

I've read up on devos and got a gist of what she knows. if she and most of the other cabinet picks bumble their way through the next four years, then so be it. the US will survive it