Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Maximus on January 16, 2017, 03:45:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 16, 2017, 11:36:46 AM
No, I didn't say that.  People understood that ideas move through a population well before Dawkins came up with memes.  The scientific journal of Memes has been defunct for about a decade.  No peer-reviewed journal, no science. While the rest of the world has moved on, it remains alive amongst cranks, logical positivists, and pseudo-intellectuals on the internet

Ideas exist, memes do not.  Meme has meaning beyond simply "idea".
So a journal goes defunct and suddenly a concept with the same name doesn't exist? :lol: Memes are widely referred to in information and cognitive sciences today. Ergo they exist.

Indeed.  What is sad is that the poor academics don't even know their subject no longer exists!  :(

Rinkel, Sean (2013): "Crisis Memes: The Importance of Templatability to Internet Culture and Freedom of Expression" is quite recent and looks interesting.
http://www.academia.edu/2439613/Crisis_Memes_The_Importance_of_Templatability_to_Internet_Culture_and_Freedom_of_Expression

If only Raz would get out of his Ivory Basement sometimes!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

No, I didn't say that.  People understood that ideas move through a population well before Dawkins came up with memes.  The scientific journal of Memes has been defunct for about a decade.  No peer-reviewed journal, no science. While the rest of the world has moved on, it remains alive amongst cranks, logical positivists, and pseudo-intellectuals on the internet

So a journal goes defunct and suddenly a concept with the same name doesn't exist? :lol: Memes are widely referred to in information and cognitive sciences today. Ergo they exist.

A peer-reviewed journal is the indication of an actual science.  The one more Memes closed up a decade ago.  Think of "memes" as similar to "Race".  Race is referred to in all sorts of sciences, but the world has no scientific meaning.  That of course doesn't stop the idea being used by the public at large or assorted cranks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2017, 04:08:56 PM

Indeed.  What is sad is that the poor academics don't even know their subject no longer exists!  :(

Rinkel, Sean (2013): "Crisis Memes: The Importance of Templatability to Internet Culture and Freedom of Expression" is quite recent and looks interesting.
http://www.academia.edu/2439613/Crisis_Memes_The_Importance_of_Templatability_to_Internet_Culture_and_Freedom_of_Expression

If only Raz would get out of his Ivory Basement sometimes!

Published in the Journal of Popular culture? :yeahright:  Here's the funny part, you once agreed with my position.  I remember you saying that it was a theory of the mind not a science.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

I refuse to argue with Raz in stupid mode. 
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

That's the thing I have most trouble understanding. That this billionaire playboy who stands to make more money than ever before is supposedly doing it not for power and wealth but for the common people.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Liep on January 17, 2017, 12:02:56 PM
That's the thing I have most trouble understanding. That this billionaire playboy who stands to make more money than ever before is supposedly doing it not for power and wealth but for the common people.

To quote Mencken:

Quote"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Pointing out the irrationality of Trump supporters is beating a dead horse.

What I'm more interested in, if it happens at all, is the process by which they start to turn against him.  I suspect it will be some symbolic event that causes them to flip their narrative from champion of the people to just another Washington insider.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2017, 12:50:37 PM

Pointing out the irrationality of Trump supporters is beating a dead horse.

What I'm more interested in, if it happens at all, is the process by which they start to turn against him.  I suspect it will be some symbolic event that causes them to flip their narrative from champion of the people to just another Washington insider.

No, I think it'll be the massive recession that gets triggered by his raising tariffs on everyone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Who the fuck supposedly said that?  Certainly not Donald.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2017, 12:59:06 PM

Who the fuck supposedly said that?  Certainly not Donald.

Trump supporters vibe.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

His followers already had to go through the "fuck what the world says, he is awesome" phase, heck, by the primaries.

There will be a sizeable group of people who will always support him now, no matter what. You can only hope the opposition will be able to mobilise enough discontents to counter that.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2017, 11:57:17 AM

How can somebody be so worshipping him that creates this.... thing. FFS.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on January 17, 2017, 01:02:30 PM
How can somebody be so worshipping him that creates this.... thing. FFS.

It's people who revere Trump like many revered Obama when he won the first election, and who were as afraid of Obama as, well, thinking people are worried about Trump.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on January 17, 2017, 01:01:48 PM
His followers already had to go through the "fuck what the world says, he is awesome" phase, heck, by the primaries.

There will be a sizeable group of people who will always support him now, no matter what. You can only hope the opposition will be able to mobilise enough discontents to counter that.

Don't oppose him too much tho, we really, really don't want him to quit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.