Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on January 13, 2017, 10:33:13 AM

You have to roll out the tanks to stop a riot just one time and no one ever lets you forget it.   :(

;)

While I know it doesn't matter in the slightest with Facebook memes, but I couldn't imagine a way that the rioting that has occurred during the Obama administration was worse than the LA Riots in 1992 or the various riots in 1968; yet not as bad as Detroit in 1967.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Yeah, boycotting the Academy Awards sure will show 'em!

Instead, maybe the deplorables could spend the time going to a movie?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

:lol:  are Deplorables even invited to the Oscars? Isn't it just the Academy?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Clinton calls a bunch of racists deplorable, and the Right turns around and says "yep, that's us!  We're deplorable!".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2017, 05:49:11 PM
:lol:  are Deplorables even invited to the Oscars? Isn't it just the Academy?

They don't even know how to spell it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on January 13, 2017, 02:41:14 PM

While I know it doesn't matter in the slightest with Facebook memes, but I couldn't imagine a way that the rioting that has occurred during the Obama administration was worse than the LA Riots in 1992 or the various riots in 1968; yet not as bad as Detroit in 1967.

Virtually everything in there is either a lie or facts misrepresented. It is why Memes are terrible. They just really make me sad more than anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2017, 11:42:17 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 13, 2017, 02:41:14 PM

Virtually everything in there is either a lie or facts misrepresented. It is why Memes are terrible. They just really make me sad more than anything.

Why are online posters/bumper stickers called "memes" nowadays, when the word "meme" already has a meaning?  Does anyone know where this started, and when?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

From what some (very) cursory googling turns up, it seems Godwin (of Godwin's Law) is widely credited with first applying the term meme to the internet in this Wired article:

https://www.wired.com/1994/10/godwin-if-2/

I'm guessing that over time people saw the term "meme" applied to widely spread "online posters/bumper stickers" (as you call them, I have no better word for it), and then going and applying it to all such content.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on January 14, 2017, 12:11:07 PM
From what some (very) cursory googling turns up, it seems Godwin (of Godwin's Law) is widely credited with first applying the term meme to the internet in this Wired article:

https://www.wired.com/1994/10/godwin-if-2/

I'm guessing that over time people saw the term "meme" applied to widely spread "online posters/bumper stickers" (as you call them, I have no better word for it), and then going and applying it to all such content.

The term "meme" was invented by Richard Dawkins, of evolutionary biology fame, to describe ideas or behaviors that spread through a culture, and evolved over time, by a survival of the fittest process.  "All your ____ are belong to us" is a meme.  It is used by people who are unaware of its origins and have never seen the AYB video.  These incredibly dumb posters and bumper stickers don't even last a day.  They aren't memes, they are brainfarts.

I'm just curious as to where and when people started confusing them with actual memes.  Perhaps the popularity of meme generators creating meme-based graphics ("one does not simply ___ into ___ " or "_____, Motherfucker, Do You Speak It") made people think that memes were things that looked like that, even when they were not ideas that caught on and spread?  But hypothesizing about how it happened doesn't help with where and when it happened.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Mislabeling something as a meme is a meme
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

LaCroix