News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 04:09:12 PM
They are grabbing random nuggets of true things to give a false message. A rather common political strategy.

Right.  So what's the random nugget of truth in the Bible/science one?

The Brain

The Bible did start in the Middle Ages.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2017, 12:44:36 PM
Except people of have been complaining about political correctness for decades.  Long before "safe spaces".

When political correctness comes up I think it's important to see what the Right considers politically incorrect.

Those do fall under the category of being politically incorrect :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2017, 04:12:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 04:09:12 PM
They are grabbing random nuggets of true things to give a false message. A rather common political strategy.

Right.  So what's the random nugget of truth in the Bible/science one?

The archaeology one was based on the work of...um...some fundamentalist Christian archaeologist who dominated that kind of archaeology for a long time right up until the 80s. So discoveries were being interpreted in a way that seemed to prove the Bible, but the problem was that the practice was to assume the historicity of the Bible so it was kind of a closed loop.

The science claims are similar to what Muslims do with the Koran. Cherry pick things that just coincidentally happen to be, or are similar to being, scientifically correct. At least I think that is what they are going for. How they therefore show that no science was done by the Greeks is beyond me. (or that science is some kind of Medieval invention)

The fact that Atheists include Commies and far leftists is obviously being brought up.

I don't know. I am sure there are a ton of Christian philosophers they can quote for the other stuff.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2017, 04:23:10 PM

Well they are also dishonest and politically motivated lies. But I suppose there are many things you can do that are horrible that also might fall under politically incorrect.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 04:45:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2017, 04:23:10 PM

Well they are also dishonest and politically motivated lies. But I suppose there are many things you can do that are horrible that also might fall under politically incorrect.

Yeah, pretty much.  Btw I think my brother has The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2017, 10:05:59 AM
In this specific case though, they do just want to be racist.

Very possible, but I covered that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2017, 10:37:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2017, 10:17:49 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 10:12:19 AM
Well it is why I asked the question.

The 'safe space' thing seems to be almost universally mocked and derided and seems limited to radical college students.

I look around the internet and the media and I see many discussions taking place without regard for what the tolerance mafia have to say.

But I live in Texas so the stupidity of the left sometimes seems like a distant thing to me. I imagine if I lived in Berkeley I would feel a bit differently.

Back in the late 90s, you had to admit that the leftist intelligentsia, their circles and their influence, I mean, had a decisive influence on political discussions and public life, I mean, a disproportionate one.

This of course became one of the calling words of the right, long after there was clear parity.

One of the things the right had trouble with, was that these leftists labelled everyone who disagreed with their social-liberal views fascists/nazis. And I did myself feel the left was overdoing it.
The complaints from the right drew many similarities with the "omg safe space culture is suffocating us" lines.

Then the old left's media influence shrunk to nonexistent after 2010, now the right reigns supreme. And guess what? The media is full of loud racist, intolerant crap.

They did? I don't really recall that being the case in the US.

I'd say really that the fig leaf that's being used of crazy political correctness is just that. At least in the US, it has never been that extreme and pointing to what happens in colleges in the US is just disingenuous. Universities do strange things.

There are plenty of examples outside that one though.

SPLC calling people who advocate for reform in Islam "anti-Muslim extremists".

The suggestion that any concern over Muslim immigration is "Islamaphobia".

The demand that Palestinians be given precedence over Israels and Jews in Universities.

Obama's categorical refusal to admit that religion has anything to do with Islamic terrorism.

The demand that ANY concern raised over the advisability of increased Muslim immigration is driven by bigotry.

The left most certainly has a definite track record of using a demand for absolute "tolerance" to silence discussion on topics of race, the impact of race on behaviors, the suggestion that there is any cultural issue that blacks might consider adressing themselves (re: Cosby being blasted for suggesting that maybe black men might consider raising their kids as something that might help).

And you can argue that these are corner cases, and you would be right. But they do happen, and they do get media attention. They are corner cases, and in many cases most people even mock them. But most people mock the right wing creationist bullshit as well - that doesn't mean it doesn't get plenty of play and attention. And the left uses the most nutbad right wing bullshit to represent the entirety of the non-left position in the same fashion the right does.

But no matter - keep pretending like everything is fine, and the left doesn't need to change their message or presentation. And we will see more Donald Trumps.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 06:25:02 PM
There are plenty of examples outside that one though.

SPLC calling people who advocate for reform in Islam "anti-Muslim extremists".

SPLC does some strange things at times. I guess one could take that as enough to tar them up but then I'd suggest one is looking for reasons to discredit them by hanging their hat on that. I also don't think that's really connected at all to why people vote Trump. Trump voters are not the sort caring about those trying to make reforms in Islam, they are too busy crying about where are the moderate muslims denouncing terrorist acts.

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 06:25:02 PMThe suggestion that any concern over Muslim immigration is "Islamaphobia".

Probably a bit off the mark but at the same time, pretty much true.

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 06:25:02 PMThe demand that Palestinians be given precedence over Israels and Jews in Universities.

I don't know who are what is making those demands.

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 06:25:02 PMObama's categorical refusal to admit that religion has anything to do with Islamic terrorism.

I think that's a mischaracterization. What's next 'and they've never said radical islam!'?

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 06:25:02 PMThe demand that ANY concern raised over the advisability of increased Muslim immigration is driven by bigotry.

Huh, how is that a demand? Also seems like you've already listed this one above.

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 06:25:02 PMThe left most certainly has a definite track record of using a demand for absolute "tolerance" to silence discussion on topics of race, the impact of race on behaviors, the suggestion that there is any cultural issue that blacks might consider adressing themselves (re: Cosby being blasted for suggesting that maybe black men might consider raising their kids as something that might help).

I don't think that's the case at all. In fact, I think now, more than ever, we've increased levels of dialogue about race. I'll agree the Cosby bit was crazy given that it was something that black people have already known about as a problem in their communities for longer than I've been alive. Of course, part of the furor may have been about the fact that when you're in a struggle for perception (which is probably fair for black people in America) doesn't help to have members of your own team calling you out for all to see (particularly when said individual isn't actually saying anything you don't already know).  Btw, strange example given what happened next with him. :D

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2017, 06:25:02 PMAnd you can argue that these are corner cases, and you would be right. But they do happen, and they do get media attention. They are corner cases, and in many cases most people even mock them. But most people mock the right wing creationist bullshit as well - that doesn't mean it doesn't get plenty of play and attention. And the left uses the most nutbad right wing bullshit to represent the entirety of the non-left position in the same fashion the right does.

Not sure I follow this. So people get some upset over corner cases that they can't help but elect morons like Trump? I don't think the left in pointing out crazy right wing bullshit that is on the rise (hi, creationism) is brought up to elect crazies. More like legitimate concerns about people being indoctrinated into toxic bullshit.  Not, of course, that I'm such a fan of the entire agenda of 'the left', I'm only a recently Democract - mainly because the level of hate, ignorance, pettiness, spite and wrongheadness of the Republicans far outweighs much of what the 'authoritarian' Democrats have mustered up in the past couple decades.

But no matter - keep pretending like everything is fine, and the left doesn't need to change their message or presentation. And we will see more Donald Trumps.

Hey if America wants to elect Trumps, then they sure as hell deserve them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

I don't think very many people are pretending everything is fine at this point.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2017, 05:28:12 PM
Yeah, pretty much.  Btw I think my brother has The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam :lol:

:lol: Well that is basically what I expected.

CountDeMoney

I've got a copy of The Turner Diaries.  And no, it has nothing to do with Ike and Tina's first headlining tour.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2017, 07:31:20 PM
I've got a copy of The Turner Diaries.  And no, it has nothing to do with Ike and Tina's first headlining tour.

Isn't that the one where all the non-white people get nuked?

DGuller

Berkut is right.  The left, in US as a whole, is unambiguously in the right on about 80% of the issues, but political correctness or whatever you choose to call it is their biggest failing.  There is definitely a climate where a lot of true things cannot be said in polite company, and should one commit a faux pas and say them anyway, the cultured people are supposed to counter with a specious argument.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2017, 07:33:11 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2017, 07:31:20 PM

Isn't that the one where all the non-white people get nuked?

Yeah, but Israel gets it first and right hard, so it's all good.